Question Ethernet not working on my laptop but works with others

Sep 22, 2019
So I just moved in my new apartment and I plugged in my ethernet nothing shows, my laptop couldnt see any connection. So I tried both the ethernet cable and my laptop and plugged it to my friend's socket and it worked I was connected. So I assumed there was a problem with my ethernet socket...but when he brought his laptop to my place and plugged his laptop to my ethernet it worked. So now I'm very confused... I get ethernet connection at my friends place but not at mine. But my friend can connect to my ethernet at home. Please help I ve been stuck with this problem for a week.

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

E.g., what do you mean by "I plugged in my ethernet nothing shows"?

What router do you have? What is the overall configuration of your new apartment?

E.g.,

ISP ---> Modem ---> Router--->Laptop

And explain more about " plugged it to my friend's socket ". Not sure about what is being done.

If your friend's laptop is working then configure your laptop to match his laptop's ethernet configuration.

Sep 22, 2019
More information needed.

E.g., what do you mean by "I plugged in my ethernet nothing shows"?

What router do you have? What is the overall configuration of your new apartment?

E.g.,

ISP ---> Modem ---> Router--->Laptop

And explain more about " plugged it to my friend's socket ". Not sure about what is being done.

If your friend's laptop is working then configure your laptop to match his laptop's ethernet configuration.

Im using an ethernet wall port directly connecting to my laptop using ethernet cable. So I'm not sure about the configurations. So I tried using my laptop and ethernet cable at my friend's ethernet wall port and it works but when I try it at MY internet wall port the laptop does not recognise if there is an ethernet connected, when I trouble shoot it....it just kept saying "an ethernet cable is like a telephone cable etc." But when I try plugging my ethernet cable into my friend's ethernet wall port using MY ethernet cable it connects instantly and I can access the internet without changing anything with the configurations.

P.S sorry if I'm not making that much sense I'm not really sure about tech stuff.

Ralston18

Titan
Does your new apartment include internet access via some ISP?

You may need to provide your own router or be giving the necessary connection and security information to connect to some building router.,

Who is your landlord or apartment manager?

Hopefully that person should be able to provide the necessary information about how to connect to the internet.