Ethernet not working.

Sep 24, 2018
I've given up trying to do this myself, so I am in need of outside help.

Setup:

Motherboard - Asus Z97-AR
CPU - i7 4790k
GPU - Asus GTX 1060 6gb
Memory - Gskill 16gb (x2 8gb)
PSU - 750W Thermaltake

Problem:

In device manager, under network adapters, Intel Ethernet Connection 1218-V has a yellow icon next to the driver. The only way I am able to connect to the internet is a wireless adapter that I keep for situations like this. When clicking the device, I get the following message in the description:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

Solutions tried that failed:

-Updating drivers, while update was successful, yellow icon still persists.
-Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers from Intel website.
-Installing drivers from Asus website
-Windows Update
-Changing power settings
-Restarting Computer
-Booting into Safe Mode

Hopefully there is something I missed or more that I can try. My next solution is the throw away the mobo completely and buy a new one.

Solution
Did you get the drivers via the following Intel link?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/network-io/ethernet/controllers/connection-i218-v.html

Did you try another known working Ethernet cable?

Did you try running the built in Windows 10 Troubleshooters - they may find and fix something.

Before pitching the motherboard, try installing and configuring a PCIe based Ethernet adapter.

Determine if a PCIe adapter will work for you. Less expensive.....

(Be sure to disable the onboard Ethernet adapter.)

Ralston18

Titan
Did you get the drivers via the following Intel link?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/network-io/ethernet/controllers/connection-i218-v.html

Did you try another known working Ethernet cable?

Did you try running the built in Windows 10 Troubleshooters - they may find and fix something.

Before pitching the motherboard, try installing and configuring a PCIe based Ethernet adapter.

Determine if a PCIe adapter will work for you. Less expensive.....

(Be sure to disable the onboard Ethernet adapter.)

Solution
Sep 24, 2018

Sadly, the ethernet port on the mobo is defective. Ran Ubuntu from a USB stick and ethernet port also failed to work. Rather than junk the whole mobo I did buy a 3rd party ethernet card and everything works now. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS