Question Ethernet on computer capped at 100mbps

Oct 7, 2022
I use to get around 900mbps on a good copper cat5e cable. I have the same cable and have had the same router. All i have done is download games on steam and battle.net, yet my internet speed has now capped itself at 100mbps, On the ethernet status is says the speed is 100.0mbps. It's set to auto negotiable, i then got a new router and a new cable just to make sure. I have reset networking and still to nothing new. I would like some help if anyone may know what could fix it. I've also tried different ports on the router. Remember that at the start when i built the pc and ive had it for a couple months that it ran completely fine. Thanks for anyone that may have some insight onto my problem!
Forgot to mention that my iphone 7 gets over 300mbps on the internet speed test so it just has to be capped on my computer.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I use to get around 900mbps on a good copper cat5e cable. I have the same cable and have had the same router. All i have done is download games on steam and battle.net, yet my internet speed has now capped itself at 100mbps, On the ethernet status is says the speed is 100.0mbps. It's set to auto negotiable, i then got a new router and a new cable just to make sure. I have reset networking and still to nothing new. I would like some help if anyone may know what could fix it. I've also tried different ports on the router. Remember that at the start when i built the pc and ive had it for a couple months that it ran completely fine. Thanks for anyone that may have some insight onto my problem!
Forgot to mention that my iphone 7 gets over 300mbps on the internet speed test so it just has to be capped on my computer.
If the speed on the ethernet status shows 100Mbit then you have a bad cable. Is there any in-wall cabling? The fix is get a new cat5e or 6a cable that is 22-24ga 100% copper.

Before you fix anything you need to find what the problem is. If you're positive you've not updates any related drivers and only software/games unrelated to the issue, then it points to a bad cable.

How is the cable going - as in does it lay on a floor where people tend to step on it, or slide between door and wall and get squeezed ?