Ethernet on my pc is slower than on my laptop

Bengemon825

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Okay so I have a Cat6 cable running to my gaming tower and speedtest tells me that I get about 200 mbs which is good, don't get me wrong. But when I use an ethernet to usb adapter to plug in my laptop i was getting up to 300 mbs and this was using the same ethernet cable/connection. I tried using the adapter on my pc instead of its ethernet port and my connection actually slowed down to about 100mbs. Anyone know what could be going on? It would be nice if I could have the full speed on my tower but for some reason its not coming through.

Look at the properties of the connection, and it shows the connection seed. It will tell you if your actually connected at 100 or 1000. Just because it can connect at 1000 doesn't mean that it will connect at that speed. It will negotiate the speed with the router and connect at the fastest speed it can, which may not be 1000.

What OS? are you using the latest drivers

Bengemon825

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

I looked at my ethernet connection through the network and sharing center and it says 1 gpbs for speed. I am on windows 10 and it looks like device manager didn't have any new driver updates. And either way when I plugged in my ethernet adapter that I use for my laptop (where it got 300mbs), i got less than 100 so multiple weird things happening.