Question Ethernet on router not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverB360

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2013
I recently sublet an apartment for the next 3 months for a work assignment. Internet was included but I share a wireless network with 2 other tenants and I was asked not to switch out the router. The router is in my room and I tried hardwiring my PC to the back of it but my computer does not recognize anything is plugged in (LEDs on Ethernet port don’t even light up).

When I hook the PC directly to the modem the computer recognizes the connection but says it has limited access to the internet. (Assuming the modem is in bridge mode? Not a network expert). At least I know my Ethernet ports are working on my PC.
Could the landlord have disabled the ports on the back of the router? Or is there any other simple solution for why they aren’t working?

I was thinking about adding a switch before the router but from the research I have done it would seem the switch would only work connected into the router which would give me the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and sorry for my English.

Ralston18

Titan
You have been asked to "not switch out [off ?] the router."

Which makes sense as doing so would prevent network and internet access by the 2 other tenants.

I also believe that the landlord would not really want you making changes to the modem, to the router, and to the overall network configuration and connections.

There is really no way for us to truly know the situation and circumstances.

Overall, providing assistance is a likely violation of Forum rules.

We cannot assist with what appears to be a circumvention of someone else's network.

The person you need to talk with is the landlord. Get the landlords approval and assistance.

Thread is being closed accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.