[SOLVED] Ethernet Only Connecting to certain websites while WiFi works completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to use my ethernet connection for working, however, when I go only ethernet connection certain websites don't load. When I am connected to Wireless and Ethernet speed tests show I have the speed of ethernet however that doesn't show up when I'm on the websites that I have the other issue with. E.I. Youtube loads on ethernet with the speed of the ethernet, However Blackboard doesnt load with ethernet and is extremely slow with ethernet and wireless-enabled.

Solution
Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to use my ethernet connection for working, however, when I go only ethernet connection certain websites don't load. When I am connected to Wireless and Ethernet speed tests show I have the speed of ethernet however that doesn't show up when I'm on the websites that I have the other issue with. E.I. Youtube loads on ethernet with the speed of the ethernet, However Blackboard doesnt load with ethernet and is extremely slow with ethernet and wireless-enabled.

Make sure the Ethernet connection is listed as a private connection or home connection and not public.

Verify your firewall has the same settings for the Ethernet connection as the wifi connections.

Compare the IP and DNS settings on the...

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
You sure it wasn't on the websites side? Their servers could have been working slow. Did you terminate the Ethernet cable yourself? If you did the wiring could be off which can impact speeds.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Hey guys,

Make sure the Ethernet connection is listed as a private connection or home connection and not public.

Verify your firewall has the same settings for the Ethernet connection as the wifi connections.

Compare the IP and DNS settings on the adapters, Ethernet should be same as wifi.

open consol, type ipconfig /flushdns to clear dns cache that may be interfering Or better yet oipen in windows consol and disconnect then reconenct to flush all caches, dns, arp etc...

Change Ethernet patch cable and make sure 4 pawed, evil, furzballs have not placed sharp pointy teeth though any cables in the house [I have 3 cats can you tell?].

If this is a mac, they used to have a real probem with using wifi and ethernet at same time, turn the other off and they were fine had both on and intermittent issues resolving dns entries.

Solution
Aug 11, 2022
I was able to solve this issue on Windows 10 by going into the adapter settings in control panel and in the "Networking" tab, searching for "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", clicking "Properties", and under the "General" tab, switching from "Use the following IP address" to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

Status
Not open for further replies.