[SOLVED] Ethernet only disconnects when people use wifi

sotl.blake

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
So, my girlfriend has 5g internet. When her brother uses the wifi, her pc will lose connection to the network over ethernet. Her motherboard doesn't support wifi so she is using ethernet at the moment, but why would watching a youtube video over wifi disconnect her on ethernet? I've seen her network speeds and they are more than capable to stream on multiple devices, so there really shouldnt be an issue. I'm at a loss here! Anyone know what could be wrong?

Solution
So, my girlfriend has 5g internet. When her brother uses the wifi, her pc will lose connection to the network over ethernet. Her motherboard doesn't support wifi so she is using ethernet at the moment, but why would watching a youtube video over wifi disconnect her on ethernet? I've seen her network speeds and they are more than capable to stream on multiple devices, so there really shouldnt be an issue. I'm at a loss here! Anyone know what could be wrong?
It could be an IP address conflict with the brothers pc. It could be the brother is running some software to kick off other users so that he gets the bandwidth. He may not remember it is running.
You will have to do more detective work. Login to the router and see if...

kanewolf

Titan
It could be an IP address conflict with the brothers pc. It could be the brother is running some software to kick off other users so that he gets the bandwidth. He may not remember it is running.
You will have to do more detective work. Login to the router and see if both PCs show up in the DHCP clients. Open a cmd window on both PCs and run "ipconfig /all" See if there is anything strange about the two.
There is just not enough info in your original post.

Solution