Ethernet only giving me 9MB/s on a 150MB/s network.

Oct 15, 2018
I'm having a spot of trouble here-

My desktop computer running Windows 10 is currently hooked into a D-LINK 10/100 router that connects to my modem downstairs, and I'm currently paying for a 150MB/s speed package. However, according to speed tests, I'm only pulling 9.8 MB/s on my desktop. I've updated the network drivers, cleared the DNS and IP caches, and changed the cable, but so far nothing is working, and if I use a wireless computer it shows I'm pulling the speeds I'm paying for. I assume it's a router issue but if there's anything I'm missing I would rather attempt that solution first. Thank you for any assistance!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you're paying for 150 mb/s not 150 MB/s. difference is 150 mb/s is about 18.75 MB/s if you get 100% of the speed you pay for. more than likely you pay for a service that advertises "up to 150 mb/s" speeds which does not guarantee you'll ever see all the speed you pay for.

in reality you are getting about half what you pay for which is still not ideal but possibly as good as it gets. ask around neighbors who have the same service and see what speeds they get. might just be the best you're gonna see with a shared connection like most are.

second problem is that your router is the limit for you as well. 100 mb/s is 12.5 MB/s which all the router can give you. so the best you can hope for even if the house is getting full speed is that 12.5 MB/s anyway.

last problem could be the cable itself. they go bad and slow down over time. if it is an old cable, you could possibly also be seeing slower speeds do a faulty cable.