Question Ethernet out ports throughout flat but no in ports

HardlyMaths

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
Hi!
I've recently moved into a flat that has multiple c5e Ethernet ports throughout the vicinity. I've found where the c5e wires are connected to distribute to the rest of the house but for the life of me I am unable to find the ports to connect them to my router. Do I need to buy an additional piece of hardware to get this working?
Pics are here for reference:
View: https://imgur.com/a/fd7ISnm

Sorry if my terminology is loose and wild, I'm not the most up to speed with networking!
Thanks in advance for any help,

HardlyMaths

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
The pictures you have are for phone connectivity not ethernet. You MIGHT be able to reuse the cable if you terminate it for an ethernet switch. BUT, I don't see any marking on that cable to say that it is ethernet grade cable.

Thanks for the response. That does make a lot of sense, although the cabling is also running a BT Openreach socket. I'm not with BT so I can't say whether this socket works, but just thought it worth mentioning:
View: https://imgur.com/a/dC3zYVD

I also suspect that is all wired for telephone but there is one cable I can read that says it is cat5e cable.

SO
The only thing you can keep is the wires themselves. You want to remove the punch down thing. Depending what is in the remote rooms you may or may not be able to use the jacks. They maybe phone jacks. Simple test would be to see if a ethernet cable fits. If it does then the jack is correct but you still need to check the wire patterns.

In this box the best option is to replace it with a ethernet patch panel. You would punch the wires down into the panel. You could just put rj45 ends on the cables but that is much harder for a new person, you will make lots wrong when you start.

The details will vary a bit depending on where your internet comes into the house and how many jacks you want active. In the simplest case you put the router in this box and connect the lan ports to the new patch panel you put in.

Those are interesting looking ports. Do the little covers slide up, that would keep unused jacks from getting dirt in them. I would remove the wall plate anyway to see what is connected you at the very minimum need to determine if the plugs are using 568a or 568b color standards so you can match the end in the central patch panel.

I am not really sure what c5e means. I have seen this on patch panels before with out indication of what it meant. One site said COPPER but I have never seen a patch panel that did not have copper jacks.

What you want to replace the central panel with is something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/ICC-Compact-Port-Data-Module/dp/B004HNDDWI

This is just a example what is key is that the punch down and the jacks are in the front. These fit the hole patterns in most standard boxes. You can always drill matching holes to match the plastic pins so you can snap it in.

What is strange is the cat6 version of this sells for 1/2 the price of the cat5e version. In any case the brand does not matter it is a matter of getting something you can get installed in your box.