Question Ethernet over mains electrical supply issues

M1ckr1ck

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
I've recently had a new home recording studio built. It is about 50m from my house. I need home network connection, both for studio work and security alarm duties, and the simplest option is a powerline connection. I'm using Netgear 1200mbps adapters, with the house adapter just a few feet from the router. But the signal is dropping out in the studio. This makes it annoying when installing software, or backing up tracks to my QNAP nas.

Is there any type of signal booster or repeater I could use to prevent the dropout happening?

Powerline networks performance can vary a lot. Way to many variables related to how the wires path and what other devices are on them. I am not real sure what the distance limit is for powerline. 50 meters is quite a distance, it is about 1/2 of what ethernet can run. Only suggestion is to try a different outlet in the house end. Optimally powerline like to be on the same circuit, then the next best is on the same hot leg...assuming you are using a 120 USA based system, on 240 systems it does not really apply.

Although a rather expensive gamble you might buy a unit that uses G.hn rather than the av2 standard your netgear uses. For unknown reasons it can work better for some people....then again other says it works worse. It is mostly how the data is encoded more than some new technology.

If you have a coax cable you might consider MoCA

kanewolf

Titan
I've recently had a new home recording studio built. It is about 50m from my house. I need home network connection, both for studio work and security alarm duties, and the simplest option is a powerline connection. I'm using Netgear 1200mbps adapters, with the house adapter just a few feet from the router. But the signal is dropping out in the studio. This makes it annoying when installing software, or backing up tracks to my QNAP nas.

Is there any type of signal booster or repeater I could use to prevent the dropout happening?
An ethernet cable is best. Then MoCA as @bill001g recommended. Next, a point-to-point wireless link, finally powerline.
If you are making money with your studio, you should pay to have conduit run with appropriate network cabling. It is a business expense.