ethernet pc shut out of network shares

Nov 16, 2018
I first noticed this problem after a Win10 update on Oct. 9 - KB4462919. Not saying that update did it, but that's when I found I could no longer connect with my network shares. My PC is where I set up my network and since it's older and has no wireless connectivity it has always been hooked into my modem/wireless network via the WAN ethernet cable connection - convenient and fast anyway.

All my other computers and remote drives can see each other and sharing is working.

There is some functionality on the pc: for example, I can stream to my chromecast and wdtv player from my pc. But I can no longer access the WDTV-connected drive, though I can see it.

Oddly, the other computers can also access my pc in Explorer Network as a "media player" but not as a "computer" although it is visible as both. When I click on an icon under Network Computer I get the "not accessible ...problem with your network" message.

I have been working on this for a month and have not found any solution and it's ticking me off because I store most of my media content on my 2TB drive on the WDTV player and now can't transfer to or from it. I have set all the suggested service functions to automatic (delayed) and made sure the smb 1 client is still running, I have made sure network sharing on private and public is on, I have made sure IPv6 is disabled. I have run the troubleshooters multiple times after any changes made and more.

What is causing this? Either some setting on the pc was changed during the upgrade, or the upgrade itself is buggy and interferes with ethernet-connected computers. Ideas?

Nov 16, 2018
I can see and access my own pc from Network. I can see the WDTV player, but not access its files. That's when I get the message noted above. Another laptop on the network can see but not access my pc. I have as recently as yesterday seen it on the network, but not been able to access it. Currently, it is not showing up in my network dialog.

If I open a browser and enter the ip for the wd player, I get a request for a username and password. I don't know what that would be as I have not in my memory ever done that before. Anyway, I have entered my microsoft id to no effect.

Nov 16, 2018
* ... I have as recently as yesterday seen it [the laptop] on the [pc]Network dialog ...

Update: after about 15 minutes the laptop has shown up in network. However, I can't access it.

Nov 16, 2018
Further, when viewing the network on my WDTV, I can see the PC's files, but cannot access them. Can't do the reverse, however, as previously mentioned.

Hope you can help, BadAsAl.