Question Ethernet port not showing any light after a PC hardware cleanup

deval395

Honorable
Jun 22, 2018
Hey!
A quick headsup, I am not the most tech savvy person, but I have been on the internet troubleshooting different possibilities for the past day and have totally ran out of ideas to try.

Basically I did a small hardware cleanup. Removed the RAM sticks, my GPU and 2 different sockets of my SSD that were plugged into the motherboard. Later adding everything back. I got initially stuck in an endless reboot cycle before BIOS could even launch up, but that seemed to be from a RAM stick being not fully inserted cause from readjusting just 2 of them I was able to boot up just fine.

After I booted it up I had no ethernet connection through my cable nor was the light in the back showing. I did sfc, DMIS? I believe that is what they were called. Complete Windows network troubleshoots and resets. Ipconfigs and some of them said that no ethernet adapter was found. Most I gathered is that my PC isn't receiving the cable at all anymore since network connections doesn't show anything and in the Device Manager the ethernet cable was disabled with an error 45.
I tried plugging the same cable into my old PC and the light did show up, but I wasn't able to check if it actually had internet going through cause I had no VGA port monitors for it, but I'm fairly certain it is not the cable. Also the router is working fine and multiple restarts of it didn't help either.

I am on Windows 10 and have a Gigabyte B75-D3V motherboard.

deval395

Honorable
Jun 22, 2018
reset the BIOS by jumper
most likely you will have to replace the cmos battery because of its age

be sure lan is enabled in BIOS

If the ethernet won´t work after that, it might be faulty. Get a cheap PCIe network card.
BIOS reset didn't help. CMOS battery seems to be fine and working, lan is enabled.

Would it make a big difference if I get a ethernet to usb 3.0 over PCIe network card? What is the difference?

did you measure the voltage of the CMOS battery?

difference is that a USB3 will be external controlled by CPU and shared with other USB devices which could lead to higher latencies or other miner problems.
a PCIe card is nearly identical to the one soldered to the motherboard and should be the best solution without any problems