[SOLVED] Ethernet port not working after normal shutdown.

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Hello there, hope you are having a good day.
My problem is the next, i shutted down the pc and went to sleep, today when i turned it on there was no audio and no ethernet connection, both had a red symbol on the windows toolbar and no lights on the ethernet port.

I restarted the pc and the audio was fixed, but not the ethernet.
Next thing i did was uninstalling the ethernet driver then reboot the pc to re install them again, it didn't work.

The driver doesn't show any signs of conflict in device manager, but the pc doesn't detect the cable at all, even when i tried the cable in every router port.
I tried using the same cable on a different device (not a pc) and it works, also tried booting the pc from a linux live usb and there is no internet connection and no lights on the port, which for me it confirms that the port died somehow during the night while the pc was off.

The motherboard is old but unfortunately i can't replace it right now, every rear port works fine except for the ethernet one. I have a free pci-e slot so i guess i can buy a ethernet pci-e card adapter but i don't know if that card would work like a normal port.
Any insight about this problem and about a ethernet pci-e card is well preciated, still gets me confused about what could happen as it also affected the audio at first, if you need any more details please ask, thanks for reading this.

Last edited:
Solution
You have already tried the main troubleshoot of boot linux. That should eliminate any software cause. I guess you could check the bios and see if there are any strange settings related to power saving.

It is very uncommon for a ethernet port to fail. Luckily it is pretty simple when you have a open pcie slot. You just put the card in and windows will likely just load the correct driver. These cards have been around so long that even the drivers that microsoft uses are up to date.

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Is your router a combo modem/router or are they separate? If they are separate have you tried plugging your modems Ethernet out directly into the back of your PC?
I'm using a Combo, tried plugging the cable directly from the modem indeed, did't work from both ends, the modem doesn't even lit a light showing the port being occupied, when if i do the same between the modem and the router it does lit up.

You have already tried the main troubleshoot of boot linux. That should eliminate any software cause. I guess you could check the bios and see if there are any strange settings related to power saving.

It is very uncommon for a ethernet port to fail. Luckily it is pretty simple when you have a open pcie slot. You just put the card in and windows will likely just load the correct driver. These cards have been around so long that even the drivers that microsoft uses are up to date.

Reactions: Mattotk
Solution

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021

I casually had the stick with lubuntu and the ethernet worked fine a month ago, i'm just pissed about how it happened, it's the curiosity that kills me, the audio being gone during the first start also confused me.

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Asrock H61-vgs Windows 10, the problem persist out of windows 10, ethernet is enabled in bios and there is nothing different except for the port not working at all, even device manager shows no issues.

Asrock H61-vgs Windows 10, the problem persist out of windows 10, ethernet is enabled in bios and there is nothing different except for the port not working at all, even device manager shows no issues.
I am not aware of a model named Asrock H61-vgs. There is a model named H61M-VG3, or another named H61M-HGS. Double check the name on your board.

Have you looked in "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Status" and run the Network troubleshooter under "Advanced network settings"?

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
I am not aware of a model named Asrock H61-vgs. There is a model named H61M-VG3, or another named H61M-HGS. Double check the name on your board.

Have you looked in "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Status" and run the Network troubleshooter under "Advanced network settings"?

Sorry i mixed the two models, it's the H61M-VG3, yeah that's the first thing i did, it says that there is no cable connected, tho the cable does work in a different device.

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Have you checked for any dirt, lint or pet hairs in the Ethernet socket preventing a proper connection?
Haven't tried to clear cmos, i didn't modify the bios at all, do you think a clearing would possibly recover a dead port? i mean dead because it seems to have no energy.

Haven't tried to clear cmos, i didn't modify the bios at all, do you think a clearing would possibly recover a dead port? i mean dead because it seems to have no energy.
I suggested clearing the CMOS because it is something simple to try. No harm even if it doesn't help.
If there are no lights on your LAN port that does not necessarily mean it is dead. Check the chart below.

fetch

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
I suggested clearing the CMOS because it is something simple to try. No harm even if it doesn't help.
If there are no lights on your LAN port that does not necessarily mean it is dead. Check the chart below.
So far we know is not Windows related as it also happens in Linux, so i'll try with the clear cmos and with too much luck it will work, and if it does work then i will be extremely confused.

Mattotk

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Hello, i have strange news because the port is working again, even when i didn't do anything.

I didn't get to clear cmos as i was going to try something else first, i was going to shut down the pc, remove the cord from the psu and then hold the power button for several seconds but i didn't.

I was checking the device manager and changed an option in the realtek driver, this shouldn't have fixed and surely didn't as Linux wasn't working either, but i plugged the ethernet cable and it magically worked.

My personal take on this is that the pc probably had a power issue that somehow affected the ethernet and audio, the first reboot solved the audio issue but the ethernet problem persisted during more than 2 days (last time i checked was today around 12 or more hours ago and still didn't work).

I can't really explain it as i didn't touch the bios or anything else, i checked the bios the same day the problem happened, made several reboots, power off and on and still didn't work, now it does but the modification i did to the realtek driver options didn't have anything to do with it, as i modified it again to how it was and works fine.

If someone has a possible explanation to this problem it would be great to hear it, i'll check again tomorrow to see if having the pc shut down during many hours will recreate the issue.

TRENDING THREADS