Ethernet port not working properly on MSI Z270 SLI Plus

madgreenb

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I recently purchased an MSI Z270 Plus motherboard, and everything works perfectly except for the ethernet. Drivers are installed, and port shows as functioning, however when I plug in a cable (I have tried multiple) nothing lights up, and it does not show as connected in network settings. If I go into the Intel utility however, it does seem to know that there is a cable plugged in, but can't actually transfer any data. When I run the Intel hardware diagnostics all tests pass, so I'm unsure if this rules out a hardware issue or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Things I've tried:

-Reinstalling Windows 10
-Reinstalling drivers directly from Intel, and from MSI
-Using multiple cables
-Disabling and re enabling the device
-Resetting router and modem
-Disabling and re enabling LAN in BIOS

Have you checked device manager network adapter status. Right click on the physical adapter and then uninstall device. It should re-install on restart.

Are you sure your router, port and CAT5 is good? Do you have a discreet NIC you could put in to rule that out?

Check all the protocols to make sure they're installed and configured correctly. Although, you should still get lights on the RJ45 port indicating presence and traffic even if that is mucked up.

It's entirely possible something as simple as a bad solder joint is messing up the RJ-45 port on the motherboard could be the issue. It is brand-new, so you can return it i assume?

madgreenb

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I have uninstalled the drivers multiple times. No yellow exclamation points, and from a software level everything appears to be working. I have tried multiple cables and access points, however I do not have another ethernet card I could try. The board is second hand, but I believe I would still be eligible to RMA as I have it registered for warranty. I probably will just buy a PCIe card for now. It does confuse me that when I run the Intel diagnostics software it detects that a cable is plugged in, but does not seem to be able to transfer data, and when running the Intel hardware diagnostics, all tests are passed. I'm not sure if that actually rules out a hardware issue or not. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.