Question Ethernet port not working

Apr 29, 2023
Hello everyone, a few days ago my ethernet port completely stopped working. I have used different cables, restarted the router and also reset it to factory settings.

I've come to the realization that most likely the ethernet port itself is broken because I stopped seeing the adapter in Windows, the PXE boot option and the fact that even on different OS's there's no internet while plugged in.

Ethernet works on different computers using the same cables, but not on my main one. I have a Lenovo Y520, I've seen that a lot of people have had issues with the little plastic "gate" that comes down to allow the RJ-45 cable to enter. Mine is completely loose and doesn't stay up. Could that also be an issue? Thanks.

EDIT: I have released static by unplugging the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds, and have also unplugged the CMOS battery then plugged it back in after 5 minutes. The issue persists, I can attach photos of the ethernet port if needed.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone, a few days ago my ethernet port completely stopped working. I have used different cables, restarted the router and also reset it to factory settings.

I've come to the realization that most likely the ethernet port itself is broken because I stopped seeing the adapter in Windows, the PXE boot option and the fact that even on different OS's there's no internet while plugged in.

Ethernet works on different computers using the same cables, but not on my main one. I have a Lenovo Y520, I've seen that a lot of people have had issues with the little plastic "gate" that comes down to allow the RJ-45 cable to enter. Mine is completely loose and doesn't stay up. Could that also be an issue? Thanks.

EDIT: I have released static by unplugging the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds, and have also unplugged the CMOS battery then plugged it back in after 5 minutes. The issue persists, I can attach photos of the ethernet port if needed.
It is probably time to just buy an ethernet card and move on. You have exhausted all the standard tests.

deval395

Honorable
Jun 22, 2018
It is probably time to just buy an ethernet card and move on. You have exhausted all the standard tests.
Sorry this might be a bit late, but would you say the ethernet card is better than a ethernet to usb 3.0 adapter? I am not a tech savvy person by any means and I don't think I would know where to connect the said ethernet card, or if I even can connect it to anything.