[SOLVED] Ethernet port seems to be not working

Mar 2, 2019
My Ethernet port recently stopped working without explanation, both green and amber lights are solid on my motherboard but on my router its just a solid green color and getting no connection, but when I plug in my Ethernet to USB it seems to work but its a constant flickering amber light

Solution
A sudden death (u swear nothing is been changed) is usually caused by Windows auto-update overriding your good LAN driver with something else. Run Windows Restore to a point when this was working.

In the future, this guy suggest setting Windows update to manual. Do your updates at the time of your own choosing and control.

Ralston18

Titan
System specs & OS? Any known software updates?

Make and model router?

Is the current ethernet connection motherboard LAN port directly to router LAN port? Or are there any interim connections such as a wall jack, a switch, or a powerline adapter?

Have you tried another known working ethernet cable?

Download the motherboard's LAN adapter drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure for your network.

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Usually you don't want both lights to be solid... the green light on your motherboard should be solid signifying that there is a connection, but the orange light should be constantly flickering signifying that data is transmitting.

Most modern modems won't have a solid green light rather a flickering one signifying that there is data being transmitted.

Again, as Ralston said the following information would be beneficial to troubleshooting:
Make/model of router:
Make/model of modem:
Motherboard make/model:
(or make and model of pre-built system)

On top of installing your motherboard's NIC/LAN drivers, you might want to try and just reset your router to default factory settings.

A sudden death (u swear nothing is been changed) is usually caused by Windows auto-update overriding your good LAN driver with something else. Run Windows Restore to a point when this was working.

In the future, this guy suggest setting Windows update to manual. Do your updates at the time of your own choosing and control.

Solution