[SOLVED] Ethernet port serial port communication

wezzlegod

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012
I have a solar inverter with a Ethernet to COM serial port Cable provided for communication with a computer. I was wondering if I could configure the Ethernet on my computer to read as a COM serial port so I can just us a straght Ethernet cable? I don't have the resources to get a COM serial adapter to USB. Which most are using for this divice. If this can be done can I get link to driver and cofig instructions? I'll be using a laptop with windows 10 pro.

Solution
I have a solar inverter with a Ethernet to COM serial port Cable provided for communication with a computer. I was wondering if I could configure the Ethernet on my computer to read as a COM serial port so I can just us a straght Ethernet cable? I don't have the resources to get a COM serial adapter to USB. Which most are using for this divice. If this can be done can I get link to driver and cofig instructions? I'll be using a laptop with windows 10 pro.
Oh ps the cable provided has no chip inside so I can ohm the pin out if needed for configurtion.
What you have is a serial cable that has RJ45 on one end. I assume the RJ45 end is for the solar converter. This is similar to many network devices that use an RJ45 for...
Most likely they are just using an RJ45 connector(low cost), but it's not actually ethernet protocol coming out of the inverter. It's just serial to serial, using ethernet wires. The answer would be no in that case.

If you do eventually buy a USB to Serial converter, I'd recommend the Gearmo Adapter. I've used numerous brands and the FTDI chip in the gearmo is really reliable and works well. I haven't had the best luck with serial to usb adapters otherwise.

If you live out in the middle of nowhere, you can perhaps try to find a local 2nd hand computer store, or buy a really old desktop locally which has a serial port.

It may be even more complex than you think. The output of the USB serial com port adapter may not match the pinout of the serial interface adapter on the device. I know for example that cisco used a very proprietary method and HP had 3 different variations over the years.

In many ways a old pc with a real db9 serial port was easier because pretty much the db9/dn9 cables mostly worked. I for years had a old laptop only used to configure stubborn equipment. I bet it is still in some box in the garage.

kanewolf

Titan
Oh ps the cable provided has no chip inside so I can ohm the pin out if needed for configurtion.
What you have is a serial cable that has RJ45 on one end. I assume the RJ45 end is for the solar converter. This is similar to many network devices that use an RJ45 for the serial port to save space.
If the other end is a DB9, and you want to put it on an ethernet network then you do need an active (powered) device. Ebyte has low cost devices like this that could allow you to do an ethernet to serial connection -- https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/E810-DTU-RS232-V2-0-RS485_62121770726.html

Solution

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
afaik RPi has I2C but not regular serial. I do use a few RPi with usb-to-serial adapters to read my weather station and pool equipment. Such adapters are usually around $10 or less. I wonder why the OP states he doesn't "have the resources" to get one...

kanewolf

Titan
Have you verified that your motherboard doesn't have a serial port and just needs the cable to bring it to the back panel? Some motherboards have the pins for a serial port but the cable and DB9 are not included in the motherboard box. You have to buy it separately.