[SOLVED] Ethernet port setup via BIOS

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
New mobo has 2 Ethernet ports with 2 chip / controllers. One is an Intel 1Gig and the other is a Realtek 2.5Gig.
Outside service provides 2Gig and Modem is set to 2.4Gig.
Only 2.5Gig port is being used.
Ethernet ports have LED indicators and 2.5Gig port indicates speed is 1Gig (roughly).
Ookla verifies speed is between 0.8-0.9Gig.
In BIOS are two options to Enable / Disable these two Controllers.

So, should only one Controller be Enabled via the BIOS?

I'd appreciate some advice here.
My Networking knowledge is mediocre at best and I'm wondering if the 1Gig controller is somehow throttling the faster one (or causing a lower speed default to occur?).
Or, maybe I'm just outright missing or misunderstanding.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
What brand of modem/router do you have. Be very careful 2.5gig ethernet is not the same as 2.4g radio frequency.
2.5g is a uncommon port speed. The manufactures did not think 10g ports would drop so fast in price so most than want faster than 1g went to 10g.

Your router must also have a port that supports 2.5g. In addition you must a ISP that provides more than 1g of internet bandwidth. 1g internet is still not available in many areas so it would be unusual for a ISP to offer more.

The other thing you will quickly find there are almost no internet servers that will go over 1g. You have to dig around on the speedtest site to even find the ones that have faster than 1g ports.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard? If you think that one of the NIC's is interfering with the other, you can disable one or the other and see if your theory is correct. They shouldn't interfere with each other though please keep in mind that since both NIC's aren't of the same brand, you can't use teaming functionality(whereby both ports are seen as one).

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
Make and model of your motherboard? If you think that one of the NIC's is interfering with the other, you can disable one or the other and see if your theory is correct. They shouldn't interfere with each other though please keep in mind that since both NIC's aren't of the same brand, you can't use teaming functionality(whereby both ports are seen as one).

OK. Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I agree they 'should' work together but I'm reminded of the nightmare stories of days past.
Integrated and Dedicated together? was verboten at one time (or at least frowned upon). Not so now I hear.
Sound systems? Same conflicts (put the Blaster in, Pull the Blaster out. ad infinitum).
I'll do it the old fashioned way. Trial and error.
By the way, thanks for the tip on 'Teaming functionality'. I wasn't aware so had a look see. Interesting tech.
Mobo's an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 by the way.
Thanks again for your help.

What brand of modem/router do you have. Be very careful 2.5gig ethernet is not the same as 2.4g radio frequency.
2.5g is a uncommon port speed. The manufactures did not think 10g ports would drop so fast in price so most than want faster than 1g went to 10g.

Your router must also have a port that supports 2.5g. In addition you must a ISP that provides more than 1g of internet bandwidth. 1g internet is still not available in many areas so it would be unusual for a ISP to offer more.

The other thing you will quickly find there are almost no internet servers that will go over 1g. You have to dig around on the speedtest site to even find the ones that have faster than 1g ports.

Solution

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019

Thanks for your reply.
Modem Router is Japanese model limited to Japan with no device manual translations and unfort I'm a long way from reading Japanese.
2.5G Eth. was correct but thanks for the heads-up re. Radio Freq. and their respective differences. Looks like I have more reading to do.
After much snooping we found the modem was a stock device sold on a 2G plan (yes in Japan) but, each LAN port is only 1G which means 2 PC's / devices would be required to take advantage of the said plan using that modem. Yes, that's a speed vs bandw argument. Sneaky but typical. Someone didn't read the fine print I guess. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Last edited: