[SOLVED] Ethernet port takes about 5 mins to detect a cable after I turn on my PC?

paulosalles55

Commendable
Sep 23, 2017
The cables work fine (I have tested 4 different ones on a laptop), the port itself is also working fine. Once the cable is detected I don't disconnect the entire time my PC is on (only if the router has issues but once they are gone the connection is instant, with not issues). it is just after I shut down my PC and turn it back on it will take an average of 5 mins for it to see that there is an Ethernet cable connected. Sometimes it takes less, like a minute or 2, but some times it can take more than 10 minutes to detect the cable. (15 mins is the longest so far).

I have never seen anything happen like this before and when looking up to see if anyone has experienced this also I come up short. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Solution
That is definitely a pointer to a bad network card.

You can get around it by using an USB to ethernet dongle that plugs into any USB port and installs like a network card.
Found on Ebay or Ali for less than $5

Not gigabit however.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018

You can get around it by using an USB to ethernet dongle that plugs into any USB port and installs like a network card.

Not gigabit however.

Solution

paulosalles55

Commendable
Sep 23, 2017

Not gigabit however.

That's the thing though, I am now connected to my router using the the ethernet port on my PC. I turned my PC, and it didn't detect the ethernet cable, I went downstairs to get some water came back and it is working fine. It just takes an arbitrary amount of time to detect the cable after it is turned on but once it detects the cable it works fine.

I don't mind having to wait a few mins as I can turn it on and go do something for a little bit until it starts to work. But it is driving me crazy why it suddenly starts to work.

paulosalles55

Commendable
Sep 23, 2017
[/QUOTE]
It is not right to wait random time detecting the cable.
It should detect instantly.

You defo have a problem with that network adapter.
When you say network adapter do you mean one like an expansion card that I would install in the motherboard in a PCI-e slot? Because I am using the ethernet port motherboard itself.
If it helps my motherboard is B450 tomahawk.

paulosalles55

Commendable
Sep 23, 2017
Onboard adapters can not be replaced.
You will have to disable it and use any type of external card inserted on the PCIe bus or a usb connector.
Got it. Although seeing as after a few mins I have no issues I think I'll try and contact MSI support and see if they can maybe replace or repair the motherboard. Thanks for your help.