Question Ethernet Problem with the Asus Maximus VII Hero

Sep 25, 2019
I live in a college dorm that has an ethernet port that connects straight to my PC. I have the Asus Maximum VII Hero ATX and it was working perfectly but all of a sudden the ethernet stopped working I can't do anything on my computer. I also randomly have a 169.xx.xxx ip assigned to me and I don't know what to do. Thanks for the help

Sep 25, 2019
Tell that to the people that can look at logs and technical info about your wall port. Since YOU have no control over that port, you need to work with someone who does have control.
I have the company is Boingo btw and they are saying if they send a technician to help me and he plugs the Ethernet into his laptop and it works they are going to charge me. I don’t know what to do.

Sep 25, 2019
So YOU subscribe to the internet service? It is not provided by the college? I am VERY confused. I obviously don't understand your use of the word "dorm".
So it’s off campus living in an apartment but the isp is a company called Boingo. So yes I’m subscribed to them but I’m forced to be since it’s though the college I go to.

kanewolf

Titan
So it’s off campus living in an apartment but the isp is a company called Boingo. So yes I’m subscribed to them but I’m forced to be since it’s though the college I go to.
If you had said you lived in an apartment, my answers would have been significantly different. A dorm is managed by the school and the IT is managed by the school. An apartment is very different.

So the reason it probably doesn't work consistently is that you REALLY need a router. The hardware on the other end of that wall plug "remembers" the hardware address of your device. When you swap from one to another, it will only allow the one it "remembers" to connect.
A router will allow you to have all your devices connected simultaneously.