[SOLVED] Ethernet Question

becominq

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
(I'm not sure what would be the proper forum to post this in but)

I've recently been getting some lag in games and decided to unplug my ethernet cord from my router and directly plug it into my modem instead and my ping was lowered in games.

Typically you have your router plugged into modem and then PC to router via ethernet, but when I bypassed the router and went straight from PC to modem my performance increased?

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

Solution
What is the EXACT model of your router, cable modem and ethernet adapter? If you are using an onboard ethernet adapter on the motherboard, what is the model of the motherboard?

It's possible this could be related to a traffic shaping or other setting in the router configuration, likely changeable, but it could also be due to the simple fact that your cable modem and ethernet controller are newer and capable of higher throughput than your router is. Or, other devices are eating bandwidth when the router is plugged in. If there are wireless devices using the router in addition to your hard wired connection, try eliminating those by turning off the wireless access in the router settings or using the router when you know no other devices...
What is the EXACT model of your router, cable modem and ethernet adapter? If you are using an onboard ethernet adapter on the motherboard, what is the model of the motherboard?

It's possible this could be related to a traffic shaping or other setting in the router configuration, likely changeable, but it could also be due to the simple fact that your cable modem and ethernet controller are newer and capable of higher throughput than your router is. Or, other devices are eating bandwidth when the router is plugged in. If there are wireless devices using the router in addition to your hard wired connection, try eliminating those by turning off the wireless access in the router settings or using the router when you know no other devices are accessing the internet through that router to see if there is a change in speed.

Reactions: becominq
Solution