Question Ethernet randomly stopped working

pamulinda

Prominent
Feb 16, 2018
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I was playing an online game, when suddenly my internet went off. It was on and off for about 2-3 minutes and then it went offline completely.

My connection is through ethernet cable.
I've tried the following things:
  • Resetting router. Didn't work.
  • Swapping out ethernet cables. Didn't work.
My TV is right next to my PC and my TV is connected to the internet just fine with either one of the cables, while my PC doesn't.
  • Disabling and enabling ethernet in the network options. When I do this, it stops saying "No internet" but instead says "Unidentified network, no internet connection"
  • I checked the drivers and they were all up-to-date.
  • I tried connecting to my phones hotspot through a USB WIFI receiver, which worked alright.
  • I checked the light on the ethernet port, it flashed orange but doesn't seem to do so consistently. Sometimes there is also a green light, but not for long.
  • Unplugged my PC from the power for about 1 minute and plugged it back in. Internet came back on for about 1 second and went off again
  • Tried to recover / reset my windows, but both seemed to be stuck in preparing for about 10 minutes each before I stopped it.

The issue originates from my PC clearly, as my TV is receiving internet just fine through the ethernet cables.
Can anyone help me fix this? :(

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to list your affected CPU's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You may want to uninstall and reinstall your networking adapter drivers. Speaking of which, are you working off the Ethernet port on your motherboard or is it an add-on NIC? Make sure your system is on the latest BIOS update.

pamulinda

Prominent
Feb 16, 2018
Might want to list your affected CPU's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You may want to uninstall and reinstall your networking adapter drivers. Speaking of which, are you working off the Ethernet port on your motherboard or is it an add-on NIC? Make sure your system is on the latest BIOS update.

Hi, thank you for the reply.
I will add the specs as soon as I am home later today, and I will also check if my system is on the latest BIOS update.

The ethernet port is on my motherboard.

pamulinda

Prominent
Feb 16, 2018
So I am home now and as promisted this is the list of specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache
Motherboard: ASUS PRIMZE Z270-A
Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO Series - Solid state drive 500gb
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout TG - Towermodel

I tried updating my drivers, disabling ethernet, uninstalling ethernet. Nothing worked.
I reset my PC while my ethernet cable wasn't connected. When I plugged it back in, I had internet again.
Then when I restarted my PC to finish up the installing of some programs, my internet wasn't working again.

I pulled out the ethernet cable, uninstalled it in Device Manager, reset my PC, plugged it back in and it worked again.

I tried restarting my PC a few times - same thing. When I shut my PC down while the ethernet cable is in - no internet. When I uninstall the ethernet and restart my PC with the cable pulled out - internet works.

Any ideas?