Ethernet Router Question

Apr 18, 2018
So, ive been wanting to try ethernet for a while, and im sorry if this question is dumb.
My family has two interent connections, a guest and main one, both located in our central router far away from my pc. We do have eero wifi extenders but the three walls separating my computer and the router are just too much for the connection. So, if I get a new router, is it realistic to just put and plug it in on my desk, and then get an ethernet cable and plug it into my pc to get a wired connection. I know the speed is dependent on the router and cable, but i want to know if im getting the right idea about this. Also, do you guys have any suggestions for very fast gaming routers and ethernt cables i should pick up? thanks

Solution
That router you plan to put on your desk - how it's going to connect to Internet? If over WiFi from your main router (not all routers support that), you will be in the same boat as before - WiFi traveling thru many wall before reaching your PC (or router).

You have two options:
- running a long Ethernet cable between your PC and the main router
- Using a pair of Ethernet PowerLine adapters if electrical system in your home allows for it.
That router you plan to put on your desk - how it's going to connect to Internet? If over WiFi from your main router (not all routers support that), you will be in the same boat as before - WiFi traveling thru many wall before reaching your PC (or router).

You have two options:
- running a long Ethernet cable between your PC and the main router
- Using a pair of Ethernet PowerLine adapters if electrical system in your home allows for it.

Solution
Apr 18, 2018

That the idea behid powerline adapters. Their performance depends a lot from how your house' electrical installation is done. In best case, these two adapters should be on same electrical circuit.