[SOLVED] Ethernet slowed to 10MBPS and 100MBPs from 1000MBP/s

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
All of a sudden, internet on my computer felt a little slower than normal, so I decided to take a look at it and noticed my speed (which definitely used to be 1000mbps) is now capped at 100mbps, sometimes even 10mbps. I've tried my ethernet cable on my laptop and it works at 1000mbps, so I have eliminated the cable being the issue. My PC is almost brand new (only 2 months old) and has had 1000mbps the entire time until now. When I go into my gateway/modem settings, even crappy little devices like my smart TV have a faster connection rate (120mbps) than my $5000 PC lol. Doesn't make sense.

Is there something I can try and do to resolve this?

Last edited:
Solution
It is extremely strange it happens on both ports. The 2.5g ports have all kinds of strange issues it seems. You are in someways lucky there is intel chipset that causes issues that can only be fixed in hardware so certain motherboards before a certain date are in effect defective. In your case you have a realtek 2.5 and the intel 1g port is extremely stable. I would try to only use the 1g intel port.

I will assume that the port speed is actually changing when you look at the status. There is a huge difference between it changing at the hardware level than if you just are using speedtest and seeing different speeds. There are drivers and silly gamer QoS stuff that causes it when you only see it in speedtest.

When...

Lutfij

Titan
If you're working with the onboard NIC on the motherboard, include the make and model of your motherboard. Check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for said motherboard. You could then focus on seeing what OS version you're on(assuming you're on Windows 10).

I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling your NIC drivers. When reinstalling, install the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

For good measure, list the specs to your build.

Reactions: haydenr34

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
If you're working with the onboard NIC on the motherboard, include the make and model of your motherboard. Check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for said motherboard. You could then focus on seeing what OS version you're on(assuming you're on Windows 10).

I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling your NIC drivers. When reinstalling, install the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

For good measure, list the specs to your build.
View: https://i.imgur.com/FCEpjb6.png

Now stuck on 10mbps. I'm on Windows 10 and this is my current build:

View: https://i.imgur.com/vmZujIZ.png

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK motherboard have two Ethernet ports AFAIK. Do link speed drop happen in both of them?

Yep, it's shocking. I can't even load a webpage while I'm in a game. There used to be a green light at the ethernet point on my computer, now it's always flashing orange. It's weird because it totally happened out of nowhere. One day it was great, then started playing up without having done or changed anything computer or internet wise.

It keeps dropping to 10mbps now and staying there until I unplug the cable and plug it back in, where it will then go to 100mbps for a bit before dropping back to 10mbps. Not getting 1000mbps at all now.

If you can't determine what is changed in network configuration just before problems started - updated Ethernet settings, installed 3d party network management software etc. - and you can rule out physical problems in network connection (Ethernet cable and sockets) then reinstall Windows. Someone with similar motherboard said that it helped.

Update: Definitely check the presence of unexpected network management software. Seems MSI motherboard utilities had bundled Killer network manager some time ago. This and similar managers almost always are redundant and can seriously impair network speed if used improperly.

Last edited:

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
If you can't determine what is changed in network configuration just before problems started - updated Ethernet settings, installed 3d party network management software etc. - and you can rule out physical problems in network connection (Ethernet cable and sockets) then reinstall Windows. Someone with similar motherboard said that it helped.

Update: Definitely check the presence of unexpected network management software. Seems MSI motherboard utilities had bundled Killer network manager some time ago. This and similar managers almost always are redundant and can seriously impair network speed if used improperly.

I'll try reinstalling Windows tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I just swapped my two cables around and it's back to 1000mbps now. Very strange, although won't be surprised if it goes back to 10 or 100mbps soon.

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021
Well, tried reinstalling Windows and I went to a local PC shop and bought 2 new pairs of brand new ethernet cables and the problem persists with both cables. I tried WiFi for a few hours yesterday and my internet was perfect, much faster and no disconnecting like ethernet has been.

What else could it be then? I checked the ethernet ports on my 2 month old brand new computer and my modem, both look fine and undamaged. I tried all 4 ethernet ports on my modem as well, still maxed at 100mbps sometimes 10mbps and disconnecting.

It is extremely strange it happens on both ports. The 2.5g ports have all kinds of strange issues it seems. You are in someways lucky there is intel chipset that causes issues that can only be fixed in hardware so certain motherboards before a certain date are in effect defective. In your case you have a realtek 2.5 and the intel 1g port is extremely stable. I would try to only use the 1g intel port.

I will assume that the port speed is actually changing when you look at the status. There is a huge difference between it changing at the hardware level than if you just are using speedtest and seeing different speeds. There are drivers and silly gamer QoS stuff that causes it when you only see it in speedtest.

When it is at the hardware level it can't be very much. It is either the port or the cables. Since it does in on both ports and I will assume you have tried different ports on the router it leaves the cables. Be very sure you are not using fake cables. There is a massive amount of those flat cables being sold. Those cables the wire is below the minimum required size to be a certified ethernet cable. They are cheaper because there is less copper in them but they also have massive issues on some machines. You also have to be sure you are using pure copper cables and not CCA cable. All this type of information should be on the side of the cable and most cables also say eia/tia which means they are certified.....unless some manufacture in china decided to fake the certification also.

As another thought....you are directly connecting the cables between the router and the pc you do not have wires that run thought he walls ?

haydenr34

Prominent
Jan 9, 2021

When it is at the hardware level it can't be very much. It is either the port or the cables. Since it does in on both ports and I will assume you have tried different ports on the router it leaves the cables. Be very sure you are not using fake cables. There is a massive amount of those flat cables being sold. Those cables the wire is below the minimum required size to be a certified ethernet cable. They are cheaper because there is less copper in them but they also have massive issues on some machines. You also have to be sure you are using pure copper cables and not CCA cable. All this type of information should be on the side of the cable and most cables also say eia/tia which means they are certified.....unless some manufacture in china decided to fake the certification also.

As another thought....you are directly connecting the cables between the router and the pc you do not have wires that run thought he walls ?

I've tried the 4 different ethernet ports on my modem as well as the two different ports on my motherboard/pc, yes. I've tried some good round cables and a cheap pair of the flat cables. I'm getting the speed directly from device manager/internet properties, not speedtest that's correct mate. No, I have one cord into an ethernet port in my room that goes to my pc, then at my modem another cable that goes from the modem to the wall. It's not a direct link from modem to PC. I thought that might be the issue, although how come it suddenly starts happening out of nowhere when it has been fine for the 3 months I've had it.

Running directly from PC to my modem is not really viable in my house due to the distance the cord would need to run.

Exactly what I started to write. 2.5 Gbe hardware is still novelty and plagued with speed and connection stability related glitches. No doubt they will be fixed in future with firmware and driver updates. But till that better use 1 Gbe port. Cabling requirements are Cat 5e Ethernet cable with 1 Gbe capable sockets for wall connections. Also would not hurt to start speed check from router towards PC. Maybe you have some unnoticed QoS setting enabled which affect only your motherboard.

Solution
Pretty much all that is left is the in wall cabling.

It almost always is some issue with one of the ports not the wire itself. Check them carefully that all the wires are still fully seated. At some point you just pull the wires out cut off a bit and reterminate them. Many wall jacks no longer require a punch down tool. The keystone jacks are not really expensive and most home improvement stores sell them. Still it is almost always the wires not connecting well rather than the jacks being defective.