Ethernet slower than Wifi

fishbowlbob

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
I just recently built my PC, which has an ASRock Z170 Pro-4. I have had extremely slow ethernet speeds with said computer. I have tried reinstalling drivers time and time again, and I don't think that's the problem. I'm supposed to have 100Mbps internet speeds, and I'm getting no more than 9.8. My laptop is faster than this. I'm also pretty sure it's not the ethernet cable, I used this cable on my old machine and got blazing fast internet. Furthermore, I have tried different cables and have seen no change. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jake

Solution
Have you made sure your network adapter is set to highest speed full duplex/auto negotiation?

Google network speed and duplex

Auto negotiation should be on by default but check to make sure, try forcing either 1.0Gbps or 100Mbps full duplex and see what it does then from both settings.

100Mbps = 12.5MB/s uses 4 wires of the cat cable
Gigabit upto 125MB/s uses all 8 wires of cat cable

Condition of cable needs to be spot on for Gigabit

Be sure to update the bios. If that does not fix the problem you might consider turning off message signaled interrupts via registry key and see if it has an effect. Depends on the network card. Try the bios update first.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you made sure your network adapter is set to highest speed full duplex/auto negotiation?

Google network speed and duplex

Auto negotiation should be on by default but check to make sure, try forcing either 1.0Gbps or 100Mbps full duplex and see what it does then from both settings.

100Mbps = 12.5MB/s uses 4 wires of the cat cable
Gigabit upto 125MB/s uses all 8 wires of cat cable

Condition of cable needs to be spot on for Gigabit

Solution

fishbowlbob

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Sorry I'm a noob, but how would I go about doing this?
Thanks!

fishbowlbob

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

After a little bit of googling, and having to disable and re-enable the device, I got it to work, and my internet speeds are closer to 80 Mbps! Thank you so much, this has been a huge help. :)