[SOLVED] Ethernet speed capped at 100 mbps (should be 1 gigabit)

bobjerry

Prominent
May 29, 2020
Background: I recently was out of town and while out of town some people used my computer and messed with the ethernet. When I got back, I was getting a tenth of my previous speeds. I have gigabit wifi, but am getting around 80 mbps.

What I think is the problem:
When I look at the ethernet status, it says that the speed is 100 mbps, which makes me think the link speed is somehow being capped.
I also ran a diagnostic, and it said: Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource is not responding

Solutions I have tried (which haven't worked):
  1. updated controller drivers
  2. made sure speed & duplex was set to auto negotiation
  3. changed ethernet cables to a brand new one (which didn't change anything), and then checked the cable by plugging it into a laptop, which got the 800 mbps speed I should be getting
  4. cleared DNS cache and reset IP settings through admin command prompt

At this point I have no clue what to do. These are all the tips I found online, and I am hoping that I am just missing something simple.

Solution
Background: I recently was out of town and while out of town some people used my computer and messed with the ethernet. When I got back, I was getting a tenth of my previous speeds. I have gigabit wifi, but am getting around 80 mbps.

When I look at the ethernet status, it says that the speed is 100 mbps, which makes me think the link speed is somehow being capped.
I also ran a diagnostic, and it said: Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource is not responding

3. changed ethernet cables to a brand new one (which didn't change...

kanewolf

Titan

3. changed ethernet cables to a brand new one (which didn't change anything), and then checked the cable by plugging it into a laptop, which got the 800 mbps speed I should be getting
  4. cleared DNS cache and reset IP settings through admin command prompt
At this point I have no clue what to do. These are all the tips I found online, and I am hoping that I am just missing something simple.
Is there any in-wall cabling? Have you tired moving the PC near the router and using a short, round cat5e cable?
Post a link to the "brand new" ethernet cable you purchased. If it is a flat cable or "cat 8" or other sales hype it is still probably no good.

Solution