Ethernet speed capped at 40Mbps in most applications, capacity is 900Mbps

hunter1826

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Hi community.

Today I upgraded my internet bandwidth from 100/10Mbps to 900/400Mbps and excitedly went to test my download speeds on Uplay, Steam & Battle.net etc. However in all of those launchers I get approximately 40Mbps (5MB/s) download speed for any game.
wAFiIXM.png
Aoqgtn2.png
7k1BM4O.png

My Debug Process:

• ■ Before the change, I had been downloading at my bandwidth limit of 100Mbps (11.5-12MB/s) on any downloader, Steam, Uplay, Origin etc.

■ I have tested changing the region of download on steam, from New Zealand to Australia, and it still rains at 5MB/s.

■ My friend downloaded Rise of the Tomb Raider on steam earlier on New Zealand servers at 12MB/s (around 100Mbps, his bandwidth limit), so it is not a server problem.

■ On speedtest.net I get the full advertised bandwidth, as seen from picture below.
    7535098462.png

■ I have 2 Ethernet adapters, one being Intel i-219v, and the other being Killer E2200. Both are gigabit capable, and both drivers are up-to-date.

■ Changing Speed / Duplex settings for both Network adapters seem to have no effect, changing from 1.0Gbps Full Duplex to Auto Negotiation does nothing.

■ On either adapters I get no more than 5MB/s on Steam / Battle.net / Uplay.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading! :D:D

Solution
I would love an answer as wll. I have "1000 up 1000 down" but really get 9XX up and 7XX- 8XXX down. But when im downloading on Blizzard launcher my max download speeds are 16MB/s - 50MB/s.. Doesnt make sense to me

Lutfij

Titan
I would advise on using the Intel NIC as opposed to the Killer NIC. There have been way too many reports of issue with the Killer based Ethernet ports. Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? If so, you can try and uninstall your networking drivers and reinstall them after manually downloading them from Intel's support site(assuming you're on Windows 10). I'm leaving the Killer out of the picture since you have a more capable NIC onboard.

A point to note, how are you connected from your ISP to system?

hunter1826

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

If you are asking about my connection, it is running on Fibre. My PC is connected to my Modem through a Cat6 Cable.

hunter1826

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Yes, my router is capable of handling Gigabit speeds. I tested my speed on both WiFi & Ethernet using speedtest.net & both are substantially higher than the 5MB/s I am getting on steam.

OKAMISC

Reputable
May 4, 2017
I would love an answer as wll. I have "1000 up 1000 down" but really get 9XX up and 7XX- 8XXX down. But when im downloading on Blizzard launcher my max download speeds are 16MB/s - 50MB/s.. Doesnt make sense to me

Solution