[SOLVED] Ethernet speed limited to 100 mb/s instead of 1.0 gigabit

Marcusktm9

Prominent
May 2, 2020
Hi
So i have just built my pc, and the download speed was lower than normal, (normally 25MB/s now 12MB/s) and i tried updating chipset and lan driver, but so far no progress. the speed and duplex is set to auto negotiate, and i have put the exact same internet cable in my laptop and that downloads with the 25MB/s.

Hardware as follows
x570 Aorus elite (rev 1.0)
R7 5800x
RTX 3080

Any ideas how to get the full speed?

Solution
Hi
So i have just built my pc, and the download speed was lower than normal, (normally 25MB/s now 12MB/s) and i tried updating chipset and lan driver, but so far no progress. the speed and duplex is set to auto negotiate, and i have put the exact same internet cable in my laptop and that downloads with the 25MB/s.

Hardware as follows
R7 5800x
RTX 3080

The simplest thing is ALWAYS a brand new, factory made, 100% copper cat5e or cat6a cable. Not a flat cable, not a cat8 cable. An old fashioned round cat5e or cat6a cable. The network adapters on computers react differently. A cable that works with one, may not work with another, so it doesn't matter that it...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi

Hardware as follows
R7 5800x
RTX 3080

The simplest thing is ALWAYS a brand new, factory made, 100% copper cat5e or cat6a cable. Not a flat cable, not a cat8 cable. An old fashioned round cat5e or cat6a cable. The network adapters on computers react differently. A cable that works with one, may not work with another, so it doesn't matter that it works with your laptop. 99% of the time issues of negotiating to a lower speed are cable related.

Solution