[SOLVED] Ethernet speed slow now

Jun 18, 2021
My room is a bit far from the router so i bought a ethernet cable to get good internet. The cable was working fine but suddenly my speed went from 240 mbps to to only 90 mbps. I tried to connect and reconnect the cable from the router but it didn't help. But wifi speed is still 240 mbps. I have a laptop Acer nitro 5 AN515-54 and my router is from TP link its Archer C6.
Please tell me anything i can do to get the full speed (240 mbps).
The cable is UTP CAT6 TIA/EIA

Solution
So I just checked the internet speed with the ethernet cable provided with the router the speed is 240 mbps, so the problem was with the ethernet cable i should probably buy a new one
Thanks for the reply

Out of interest, how long is the network cable? If it's under about 50m then it should work fine, however there is a limit to how far you can run high speed ethernet before signal degradation becomes a problem. If that is the case you can get powered network extenders that are inserted to boost the signal.

The other thing you could look at is ethernet over power line adapters - I use these in the house to get an ethernet connection between rooms - provided the sockets in both rooms are on the same electrical circuit then you...
My room is a bit far from the router so i bought a ethernet cable to get good internet. The cable was working fine but suddenly my speed went from 240 mbps to to only 90 mbps. I tried to connect and reconnect the cable from the router but it didn't help. But wifi speed is still 240 mbps. I have a laptop Acer nitro 5 AN515-54 and my router is from TP link its Archer C6.
Please tell me anything i can do to get the full speed (240 mbps).
The cable is UTP CAT6 TIA/EIA

If you go into the network settings for your wired connection, what is the reported value for Link Speed? The max bandwidth you can get via cable cannot be above this - if the cable is damaged or faulty it's possible this speed might drop to 100 Mbps (which would explain why you are only getting around 90).

Have you tried resetting your network adapter?

Jun 18, 2021
If you go into the network settings for your wired connection, what is the reported value for Link Speed? The max bandwidth you can get via cable cannot be above this - if the cable is damaged or faulty it's possible this speed might drop to 100 Mbps (which would explain why you are only getting around 90).

Before when I had 240 mbps the connection the link speed was 1000/1000 mbps, but now its 100/100 mbps.
I did reinstall the driver but it didn't work
I think you are right about the cable but why did it suddenly go bad I only bought it a few days ago and it doesn't look damaged. It was cheap maybe thats the cause

Jun 18, 2021
Before when I had 240 mbps the connection the link speed was 1000/1000 mbps, but now its 100/100 mbps.
I did reinstall the driver but it didn't work
I think you are right about the cable but why did it suddenly go bad I only bought it a few days ago and it doesn't look damaged. It was cheap maybe thats the cause

So I just checked the internet speed with the ethernet cable provided with the router the speed is 240 mbps, so the problem was with the ethernet cable i should probably buy a new one
Thanks for the reply

Reactions: cdrkf
Watch out for all the fake cable being sold. You want pure copper cable (no cca) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). Even high quality cables can go bad it does not take much to damage one of the ends and have them drop to 100mbps. Replacing the ends would likely fix it but the cost of the tools and the ends likely is not cost effective for just 1 cable.

Thanks for the reply

Out of interest, how long is the network cable? If it's under about 50m then it should work fine, however there is a limit to how far you can run high speed ethernet before signal degradation becomes a problem. If that is the case you can get powered network extenders that are inserted to boost the signal.

The other thing you could look at is ethernet over power line adapters - I use these in the house to get an ethernet connection between rooms - provided the sockets in both rooms are on the same electrical circuit then you can run quite large distances. Those typically operate at ~ 500mbps so fast enough to get the most out of your connection and I've not noticed any difference in terms of ping times between powerline adapters and native cable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS