benda246

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018
Hi,
So I just got a new router with my roommates and it is supposed to have a 1Gigabit connection. My PS4 is connected via a CAT5 ethernet cable but the highest speeds I can achieve are around 250 mbps down and 6.8 up when my roommates PC is getting around 900 download and 114 upload. I have changed my DNS Servers to 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 but this does not seem to help. Also my other roommate is getting around 300 down on his laptop so that is also weird. Any help with the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anonymous

Solution
This almost has to be some kind of software issue.

A ethernet cable only transmits at 2 speeds. At the full rate and at zero there is no in between. The reason you see other numbers is because instant rates have little value...you would always see either 1gbit or 0. They take a average over time many times over a couple seconds. So lets say you run at 1 gbit for 1 second and 0 for 9 seconds you get a average rate over 10 seconds of 100mbps.

Now there is a slim chance you are taking lots of errors which reduces the throughput but it is rare.

What I would do it try a old program called IPERF and run it between 2 machines in your house. This will test the hardware and the basic drivers. You should see over 900mbps using...

A ethernet cable only transmits at 2 speeds. At the full rate and at zero there is no in between. The reason you see other numbers is because instant rates have little value...you would always see either 1gbit or 0. They take a average over time many times over a couple seconds. So lets say you run at 1 gbit for 1 second and 0 for 9 seconds you get a average rate over 10 seconds of 100mbps.

Now there is a slim chance you are taking lots of errors which reduces the throughput but it is rare.

What I would do it try a old program called IPERF and run it between 2 machines in your house. This will test the hardware and the basic drivers. You should see over 900mbps using this. If this works then it get complex becuase there are so many things that can affect speed. For example you will see difference between the different speed test sites because they use different programs.

Solution

benda246

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018

What I would do it try a old program called IPERF and run it between 2 machines in your house. This will test the hardware and the basic drivers. You should see over 900mbps using this. If this works then it get complex becuase there are so many things that can affect speed. For example you will see difference between the different speed test sites because they use different programs.
Yes, that's sounds so complex lol but thank you man, I appreciate it