[SOLVED] ethernet speeds

Nov 12, 2021
Hi

I wanted to ask if somebody could help why my ethernet speeds are quit low.
I should have a 1 Gbps of ethernet speed but only getting average speeds of 60 Mbps on speedtest and my downloads are capped at 10 Mbps, while wireless on my phone i'm getting around 270 Mbps.
The switch should be a problem since its a Gbit one and the cable i'm using is CAT6.
When i'm looking at the ethernet status it says the speed is 1 Gbps

So anyone of you could know the reason for it maybe, would be really helpful

Solution
Do you have a second pc. You could try transferring large files and watch the network tab in the resource monitor and see what speeds you get.
You could also try a old line mode program called IPERF. This is a very simple program that will test the network part of the machine without being affected by things like memory or cpu.

Mostly this is to see if it might be a software issue the broswer.

If you do not have another PC you could try a linux USB boot image. This will run completely from the USB stick and not impact your windows install. Most these have the drivers for the 2.5g chipset. Most have a browser pre install so you can run the same speedtest you use under windows.

The 2.5g ethernet chips have been very flaky...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi

I wanted to ask if somebody could help why my ethernet speeds are quit low.
I should have a 1 Gbps of ethernet speed but only getting average speeds of 60 Mbps on speedtest and my downloads are capped at 10 Mbps, while wireless on my phone i'm getting around 270 Mbps.
The switch should be a problem since its a Gbit one and the cable i'm using is CAT6.
When i'm looking at the ethernet status it says the speed is 1 Gbps

So anyone of you could know the reason for it maybe, would be really helpful
If your network status shows 1 Gbit then your link to the next device (switch?). You need to look at the LEDs on the switch to see if the link to the router is 1 Gbit.

Nov 12, 2021
Wel i'm running a TP-Link TL-SG105 and all leds are lit green so the switch is runnig at 1Gbps.
I also changed the MTU, it helped a bit but not much bumped the speeds up to 80 Mbps.
still a far cry from what i should be getting

kanewolf

Titan
Wel i'm running a TP-Link TL-SG105 and all leds are lit green so the switch is runnig at 1Gbps.
I also changed the MTU, it helped a bit but not much bumped the speeds up to 80 Mbps.
still a far cry from what i should be getting
Was your OS install done for your current motherboard? Meaning you are not trying to reuse a Windows install from a previous build.

kanewolf

Titan
using an MSI B550i Gaming Edge wifi which has an 2.5 Gbps port. so the problem should be the MOBO i think
The 2.5Gbit interfaces have had driver problems. The other thing to check is if the MSI lan software is interfering. Lots of these game "enhancer" software products will limit speedtest.

There is an updated 2.5Gbit driver on the MSI website dated 11/2/21

Nov 12, 2021
well i had dragon center on it, but just removed it and there's no difference in speeds. just did a test with it still installed and when i removed it.
so there's also no interference from it

Last edited:
Do you have a second pc. You could try transferring large files and watch the network tab in the resource monitor and see what speeds you get.
You could also try a old line mode program called IPERF. This is a very simple program that will test the network part of the machine without being affected by things like memory or cpu.

Mostly this is to see if it might be a software issue the broswer.

If you do not have another PC you could try a linux USB boot image. This will run completely from the USB stick and not impact your windows install. Most these have the drivers for the 2.5g chipset. Most have a browser pre install so you can run the same speedtest you use under windows.

The 2.5g ethernet chips have been very flaky but it has been about a year so they should be better. A year ago the intel had a bunch that they could not completely fix with just software drivers. They fixed the hardware in later chips.

Solution
Nov 12, 2021
Got it solved after some searching the Net, and is wasn't a softwarematic problem. was just one of the cables on my rj45 plug that wasn't connected properly. since i use a toolless RJ connector.
Should have looked at that first though

But thanks for the advices and help anyway

That is interesting. You must have been getting just enough errors to cause issues but not to have the port to actually drop to a lower speed. In most cases the port going to 100mbps rather than gigabit indicates a bad cable. Making your own cables even when you have made thousands you can still make bad ones.