[SOLVED] Ethernet split from modem

Mar 24, 2019
I recently upgraded my network speed to 100 Mbps and although , with a direct ethernet cable from the modem to my pc I get slightly better than 100 Mbps, when connected to my wireless router, all devices connect at around 40 Mbps (which makes sense to me). My question is.... is there a way to split the single ethernet OUT from my modem into just 2 ports, one for the wireless router and one for my main PC. I really need that 100Mbps on my main PC only.

Solution
A TP Link TR-WL 841N. So you're saying I should get 100Mbps (or close to it) download speed via a hardwired router connection? In other words, my 100Mbps should pass thru a wired router connection? (assuming I upgrade to a suitable router).
That router only has 100Mbit WAN and LAN ports. 90Mbit is the maximum it can handle. Since you can get greater than 100Mbit with a direct connection to the modem, that says that your modem has a gigabit network port. You REALLY need to upgrade that old router to take advantage of 100Mbit service. A used Asus RT-AC68U on E-Bay is about $50. I have two of them as WIFI access points. Even cheaper but still much better than you have is the Asus RT-N56U. Around $20 on E-Bay.
Mar 24, 2019
A TP Link TR-WL 841N. So you're saying I should get 100Mbps (or close to it) download speed via a hardwired router connection? In other words, my 100Mbps should pass thru a wired router connection? (assuming I upgrade to a suitable router).

Last edited:
It all comes down to demand. If your PC is the only thing asking for data then it'll get 100Mbps, if both a wifi device and the PC is asking for data, the router will make choices about the speed of response from the sources and feed what it can to both devices, perhaps 90Mbps and 10Mbps, wired and wireless, but that'll change on a second to second basis. You cannot guarantee 100Mbps to your wired connection with removing every other connection and only connecting to things that can supply 100Mbps.

kanewolf

Titan
That router only has 100Mbit WAN and LAN ports. 90Mbit is the maximum it can handle. Since you can get greater than 100Mbit with a direct connection to the modem, that says that your modem has a gigabit network port. You REALLY need to upgrade that old router to take advantage of 100Mbit service. A used Asus RT-AC68U on E-Bay is about $50. I have two of them as WIFI access points. Even cheaper but still much better than you have is the Asus RT-N56U. Around $20 on E-Bay.

Solution
Mar 24, 2019
It all comes down to demand. If your PC is the only thing asking for data then it'll get 100Mbps, if both a wifi device and the PC is asking for data, the router will make choices about the speed of response from the sources and feed what it can to both devices, perhaps 90Mbps and 10Mbps, wired and wireless, but that'll change on a second to second basis. You cannot guarantee 100Mbps to your wired connection with removing every other connection and only connecting to things that can supply 100Mbps.
Thanks! You've been very helpful with my understanding of this particular networking query.

Mar 24, 2019
I suspected my router may be below par as I paid around $20 several years ago. I shall be shopping for a suitable replacement. Thanks much for the suggestions!