Ethernet Splitter Problem

scorchie916

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
i have a Gigaware ethernet splitter I have it plugged into my modem but only jack one on the splitter works... how can i get jack 2 to also conncect to the internet? what am i doing wrong

Solution
That's not the issue, all modems have only 1 port.

Yes you need a router, then you don't need the splitter at all.

The splitter thing you have is for 2 100Mbps Ethernet lines over a single CAT5 line.
You have to have 2 lines to begin with.

A Router /switch will give you 4.
As well you will get WiFi, as there is no sense buying a router without it, as it costs the same.

They can be cheep.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010076%208000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&page=1
I'd get one for at least $50 though

You will not get it to work this way! This splitter is a passive device, that only splits four lanes of the eight in a cat5 cable to one plug and the other to the other plug. As USAFRet says, tell us more about your setup. It think you need a router here?

millwright

Distinguished
If that works AT ALL, only 1 computer can be on at a time.

There should be a law against splitters and cable converters that have no chance of working, and there are many, not just ethernet.

Passive DVI-D to analog comes to mind, another impossible adapter.

USAFRet

Titan

You just wasted $25. That device cannot work the way you think it should.

What you need:
ISP -> modem -> router -> devices.
If you need more than 4 wired devices, a switch (not a 'splitter') off one of the router ports.
NOTE: the modem and router may be in the same plastic case.

The splitter works by combining two network ports into one cable. i.e. at the modem/router, you have to use one splitter (the box comes with 2). Plug two of the router's ports into the two jacks on the splitter. The single cable on the splitter can then be plugged into a wall jack (a single cable run). At the other end, you plug in the single cable of the other splitter into the wall jack. Then you can plug two devices into the splitter's two jacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yJFLElDPCA

You cannot use just one of them by plugging the single end into your modem, and devices into the two jacks.

For those of you wondering how this works, ethernet cable has 4 pairs of wires. Gigabit ethernet uses all 4 pairs. Fast ethernet (100bT) only uses 2 pairs (the 4 center connectors on your ethernet plug). What this splitter does is remap the two unused outer pairs to be the center pairs on a second jack. You can then run two Fast ethernet connections over a single ethernet cable.

scorchie916

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

Thanks but my modem has one port, so do i need a router or am i scewed

millwright

Distinguished
That's not the issue, all modems have only 1 port.

Yes you need a router, then you don't need the splitter at all.

The splitter thing you have is for 2 100Mbps Ethernet lines over a single CAT5 line.
You have to have 2 lines to begin with.

A Router /switch will give you 4.
As well you will get WiFi, as there is no sense buying a router without it, as it costs the same.

They can be cheep.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010076%208000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&page=1
I'd get one for at least $50 though

Solution