[SOLVED] Ethernet splitter

Raiden170

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Hello, so I don't know much about ethernet connections and such and I have a problem. In my house from the modem and the computer there is a wall and some obstacles, and a long cable that goes throught into my PC. Now I want to add a second PC and I figured that a Ethernet splitter was what I needed so I bought 2 cheap Rj45 coupler like This and run a 2-1-2 connection but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? What would be a nice solution ?

Raiden170

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Assuming your "modem" is actually a "modem/router"..yes. this will work.
What is the actual make and model number of that device?
Yes it should be modem/router.. its technicolor tg789vac v2 from the Italian provider Tim .
And how much speed will I loose ? Will It get split 50 / 50 between the 2 computers ? Thanks for the answers btw.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it should be modem/router.. its technicolor tg789vac v2 from the Italian provider Tim .
And how much speed will I loose ? Will It get split 50 / 50 between the 2 computers ? Thanks for the answers btw.
From the systems to the router, you will lose ZERO speed.
A switch like that can transmit up and down at gigabit speed on all ports.

Where you might have issues is the upstream, outboard of the router. Obviously, all systems behind the router will share that bandwidth.
But, systems aren't generally doing a full up and down all the time, continuously.

Reactions: Raiden170