[SOLVED] Ethernet stopped working

Jun 9, 2019
It was quite abrupt, I kind of was impatient and stopped my pc by pushing the power button 'till it went off, next thing I know it is no longer detecting the cable. Drivers are fine, tried uninstalling/reinstalling, tried the cable on my xbox and it works fine. I have also tried updating BIOS and installing random drivers, nothing.
My motherboard is MSI H110M PRO-D.
Please help, and thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Solution
"You mean rebooting by resetting right?" Yes. Unfortunately, then it's very possible your Ethernet adapter has failed.
Here are a few things to do and check. Disable wireless, reboot, re-enable the wired adapter. When you plug in an Ethernet cable does the plug feel snug and secure? Does the port wiggle or move? Verify no debris inside the port. Open the case and inspect the port and the surrounding spaces? Look for signs of damage, debris, loose connections, etc.. If all looks good, your Ethernet card has indeed failed. The fix would be to pick up up a PCIe x1 Ethernet card and plug it into one of your PCIe x1 slots..

Ralston18

Titan
Possible file corruption:

First, try running the built-in Windows troubleshooters.

Second, run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes)via the command prompt.

For more information about "sfc /scannow":

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

And do try to be patient: Windows often needs some shutdown time to properly complete administrative and house-keeping chores. Disrupting the such activities does indeed cause problems.

Jun 9, 2019
Possible file corruption:

First, try running the built-in Windows troubleshooters.

Second, run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes)via the command prompt.

For more information about "sfc /scannow":

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

And do try to be patient: Windows often needs some shutdown time to properly complete administrative and house-keeping chores. Disrupting the such activities does indeed cause problems.
Thank you for your message, I have already tried the windows network troubleshooter but it was in vain.
sfc /scannow did indeed find corrupted files and fixed them, though after restarting the computer it is still not detecting the ethernet cable.
Try using the Network Troubleshooter.. I'm not sure "installing random drivers" is a good strategy either and as said, a hard shutdown is a bad thing.
Thank you for your message, I did and it amounted to nothing.
I meant some intel drivers etc.. not actually random random.

Are you using the Realtec lan drivers? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-D#down-driver You said you were try Intel drivers. Also confirm you deleted the drivers not only from the Device Manager from but also Programs and Features and then reinstalled them from an install file you downloaded from MSI. Also, when you plug in the lan cable the plug light up? Have you tried resetting your router?

Jun 9, 2019
Are you using the Realtec lan drivers? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-D#down-driver You said you were try Intel drivers. Also confirm you deleted the drivers not only from the Device Manager from but also Programs and Features and then reinstalled them from an install file you downloaded from MSI. Also, when you plug in the lan cable the plug light up? Have you tried resetting your router?
Yes I am and I did that, still nothing.
No the LAN led in the router doesn't light up when I connect the cable to my pc, however it worked with my xbox. I also tried rebooting it (the router).
(You mean rebooting by resetting right?)

Jun 9, 2019
I have just tried restoring to an older date, still nothing.
I think this might be a hardware issue but I hope not, formatting pc right now.

Last edited:
"You mean rebooting by resetting right?" Yes. Unfortunately, then it's very possible your Ethernet adapter has failed.
Here are a few things to do and check. Disable wireless, reboot, re-enable the wired adapter. When you plug in an Ethernet cable does the plug feel snug and secure? Does the port wiggle or move? Verify no debris inside the port. Open the case and inspect the port and the surrounding spaces? Look for signs of damage, debris, loose connections, etc.. If all looks good, your Ethernet card has indeed failed. The fix would be to pick up up a PCIe x1 Ethernet card and plug it into one of your PCIe x1 slots..

Solution
The Ethernet is a chip in the motherboard connected to it's own port, that works independently and has it's own driver set. It's no different than go to the Device Manager and disabling or uninstalling the Eithernet drivers. The Eithernet will no longer work, but it has no affect on the rest of the computer workings.

Reactions: Sherwyn

TRENDING THREADS