Question Ethernet Switch Help

Apr 2, 2019
Hi,
I have multiple cat5E runs terminating into a patch panel. The panel is fed by a Linksys 16 port switch, which is fed by my Verizon router. In my basement, I have 1 ethernet wall jack. I recently added a 5 port gig switch TPLink TL-SG105 to feed my TV and audio receiver. When I connect it to the wall jack, no lights are on (Besides power), and my TV and receiver are not showing a connection. No data is being transferred, and I have no idea why. This is an unmanaged switch, and I thought it was a simple plug and play.

Can anyone assist?

You get no lights on any port or just the port going to the wall?

The switches are plug and play there is nothing you can set. It has to be one of the cable between the switches. Cables can be very strange when they go bad they can work on certain devices and not others. There is no way for home users to check the meters that certify cables are too expensive. All you can do is swap out the patch cable and recheck the punch downs in the wall jacks

Apr 2, 2019
So, I have plugged a working cable directly from walljack to TV, and the TV shows it as connected and works flawlessly. That tells me the walljack is transferring data, and the cable between the jack and TV works. I then used that jack to connect from the wall to the switch, and again, no lights at all (on any port). I tried connecting the wall into every port, and none respond...

kanewolf

Titan
So, I have plugged a working cable directly from walljack to TV, and the TV shows it as connected and works flawlessly. That tells me the walljack is transferring data, and the cable between the jack and TV works. I then used that jack to connect from the wall to the switch, and again, no lights at all (on any port). I tried connecting the wall into every port, and none respond...
What is the model of the two switches? My comment to @bill001g was because older model switches may require a different kind of cable, called a crossover cable. Your behavior of working when connected to a device but not working when connected to a switch fits that situation.

Apr 2, 2019
Hmmm... maybe I just got a dud. Also, as mentioned earlier, I can just connect the TV straight to the wall jack. My audio received doesn't even need a hardwired connection....