[SOLVED] Ethernet switch issues

Aug 8, 2019
Hey there,

I recently got the following Ethernet switch online: TP-Link 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch | Desktop Ethernet Splitter | Ethernet Hub | Plug and Play | Fanless Quite | Unmanaged (TL-SF1005D). The issue I ran into though is that as soon as I plug in the Ethernet cable from my router into the switch, my WiFi fails to connect, and the router starts making a high pitched noise. The issue seems to resolve itself immediately after unplugging the Ethernet cord from the switch. One of the Ethernet ports on my router now fails to recognize any cord plugged into the back. Does anyone know what's going on? The main purpose for the switch was to connect to my smart TV and game console.

Solution
Unmanged switches are pretty simplistic devices. They have no settings and pretty much just work.

My bet would be a defective router. It is unlikely the switches damaged the router. Ethernet ports are magnetically isolated from the power for safety reasons. You can short the pins together and it will not damage anything. Worst case is the port will not work until you fix the cables.

If it was a POE switch it would be a different story since those put out power.

The one exception I can think of would be if you have a loop. If for example you took a cable and connected port1 to port2 on the switch and then plugged port 3 into the router. Fancier switches will detect this and prevent problems.

Make sure there...
Unmanged switches are pretty simplistic devices. They have no settings and pretty much just work.

My bet would be a defective router. It is unlikely the switches damaged the router. Ethernet ports are magnetically isolated from the power for safety reasons. You can short the pins together and it will not damage anything. Worst case is the port will not work until you fix the cables.

The one exception I can think of would be if you have a loop. If for example you took a cable and connected port1 to port2 on the switch and then plugged port 3 into the router. Fancier switches will detect this and prevent problems.

Make sure there is nothing plugged into the switch and plug 1 cable to your router.

Not sure you can get a replacement switch for $10 and a 5port gigabit for about $15. Depends how expensive the router is.

Reactions: spheu
Solution
Aug 8, 2019

Make sure there is nothing plugged into the switch and plug 1 cable to your router.

Not sure you can get a replacement switch for $10 and a 5port gigabit for about $15. Depends how expensive the router is.

So I think the issue is that I was trying to plug in a WiFi extender with an Ethernet cable which cause the router to start making the noises. As soon as I unplugged the cable from the extender the noise stopped. There is no loop on the switch but both my router and switch are working fine now plugged into my TV and game console. Thank you for helping.