Ethernet Switch Question

Tejstar

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I currently have a PC upstairs with a Netgear 834G router, attached to this is a homeplug.

The second homeplug is downstairs in the living room, which I use to provide internet connectivity to my Xbox (for XBMC duties) and Xbox 360.

Up until now I have been switching the ethernet cable manually between the Xbox and the 360. However, I will be buying a PS3 at launch and don't want to keep switching the ethernet cable between the three devices.

I just wanted to know whether if I connected the second homeplug (downstairs) to an ethernet switch like the Netgear GS605 would it work? My main concern is whether the switch would work automatically when I switch between consoles?

NB Wireless is not an option as I get very poor reception downstairs.

Thanks in advance. :)

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
What's a homeplug? I think you'll need a router with a DHCP server, not a switch. Also, how do you plan on running the cables? There is small startup cost (tools and cable, if you want to get fancy you'll be cutting into the drywall and adding wall boxes with jacks). You can totally just read on the net and know everything you'll need to know (I did). But it will take a little work -- just as an FYI :)

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yes, an ordinary 10/100 ethernet switch will work, assuming your homeplug device in your game room accepts ethernet RJ45 cables (i.e. it is not a USB adapter).

Even though it is called a "switch" it does not "switch" between devices like you might be thinking. All of your devices can operate simultaneously. The switch will switch between its ports packet by packet. To you, it will appear they are all always connected.

To graysky, homeplug is ethernet over power lines. It operates as an ethernet backbone among the rooms in the house.

Tejstar

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Yep, my homeplug is Ethernet only. Thanks for the confirmation regarding compatability Iceblue!

graysky – the good thing about homeplugs is that there is no need to run reams of ethernet all over the house – it works extremely efficiently over the power lines!

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
To graysky, homeplug is ethernet over power lines. It operates as an ethernet backbone among the rooms in the house.

Interesting. What is the theoretical throughput over copper power lines? Can you run gigalan and expect the same throughput as going through cat5e and a good switch?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

Interesting. What is the theoretical throughput over copper power lines? Can you run gigalan and expect the same throughput as going through cat5e and a good switch?The latest equipment claims data rates up to 200Mbps, however it is a shared backbone rather than a star topology like ordinary 100Base-T ethernet. It is faster than wireless (in the general case) but not as fast as 100Base-T except for very simple networks with few devices. You would not use it if you needed 1000Mbps throughput. Its advantage and attraction is there is no need to run cables and it does not have the physical limits of wireless.