[SOLVED] Ethernet Switch Questions

May 11, 2019
There are only two Ethernet ports on the back of my router, both of which are in use. I want to buy an Ethernet switch to allow me to get more Ethernet ports, but I'm not sure if that is the right option - Google tells me that it allows the connected computers on a switch to communicate which is not what I want. I just want them all to be connected to the router via ethernet and not interfere with eachother at all.

Solution
There are only two Ethernet ports on the back of my router, both of which are in use. I want to buy an Ethernet switch to allow me to get more Ethernet ports, but I'm not sure if that is the right option - Google tells me that it allows the connected computers on a switch to communicate which is not what I want. I just want them all to be connected to the router via ethernet and not interfere with eachother at all.
Devices connected to an ethernet switch do not interfere with each other. The only shared resource is the link back to the router. Buy a gigabit switch and you won't have any performance impacts.

kanewolf

Titan
Devices connected to an ethernet switch do not interfere with each other. The only shared resource is the link back to the router. Buy a gigabit switch and you won't have any performance impacts.

Solution