Question Ethernet switch recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARBADARBZ

Prominent
Jul 24, 2022
My Yuanley 18-port Ethernet Switch with 16-Port PoE (YS20162F-P) just died on me in less than a year.

Can I get some recommendations for a network switch? I need at least 16 ports out. Amazon preferably, or NewEgg.

Makes a very large difference because a POE switch especially one that can put out the amount of power your current one does is expensive. Generally you would have a AP or a security camera that uses POE.

If you don't actually need it then it is pretty simple. Just search for a 16 port unmanaged switch....I would recommend you go with gigabit ports even though your current one is only 100mbps. There is very little difference between unmanaged switches and since you don't know if you need POE you likely also don't need feature a managed switch provides.

DARBADARBZ

Prominent
Jul 24, 2022
Makes a very large difference because a POE switch especially one that can put out the amount of power your current one does is expensive. Generally you would have a AP or a security camera that uses POE.

If you don't actually need it then it is pretty simple. Just search for a 16 port unmanaged switch....I would recommend you go with gigabit ports even though your current one is only 100mbps. There is very little difference between unmanaged switches and since you don't know if you need POE you likely also don't need feature a managed switch provides.
I don't need PoE then. And I have 1gb Fiber, I don't know if that changes anything based on speed requirements.

If you need/want 24 ports that will be fine.

Nice thing about "unmanged" switches is they just work and you do nothing. In effect it connects all the ports together and traffic can go between any combination of ports at full 1gbit speed both in and out at the same time.

You just plug your cables in and it just works.

DARBADARBZ

Prominent
Jul 24, 2022
If you need/want 24 ports that will be fine.

Nice thing about "unmanged" switches is they just work and you do nothing. In effect it connects all the ports together and traffic can go between any combination of ports at full 1gbit speed both in and out at the same time.

You just plug your cables in and it just works.
I don't need the inputs in any certain port? Also how many inputs from the router should I plug in?

Status
Not open for further replies.