Question Ethernet to USB adapter question

royalflush1993

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Hello community.

My problem is:

I bought this type of adapter and it works well with one flaw: when I turn on my computer - Windows 10 OS - it recognizes the adapter as a CD-ROM device an I have no network connection until I unplug and then re-plug the USB port. Is there any solution to avoid this?

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Have you tried plugging the dongle into another port on your device to see if that changes anything?
also what happens if you dont install the supplied driver from logilink but only install from the Device manager.

royalflush1993

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Have you tried plugging the dongle into another port on your device to see if that changes anything?
also what happens if you dont install the supplied driver from logilink but only install from the Device manager.

1 - I bought the adapter
2 - I pluegged in without installing anything, Windows 10 recognized it as a CD-ROM device
3 - unplug-plug back in - network worked

Then came the idea that I try to install something, download-install-turn off-turn on - no change.

There ara 5 free USB ports on the computer, I tried all of them - no change.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Try this to force your computer to re-recognize that USB device and load its proper driver. Before beginning, make sure you have the device driver and know where to find it.

1. With computer running, go into Device Manager and find that device among the USB items. RIGHT-click on it, and choose to Delete this device completely and remove it.
  2. Shut down, disconnect that adapter. Boot up again so the system recognizes it no longer exists. Shut down again.
  3. Boot up. Now plug in the adapter and watch for the screen to show it was discovered. Usually this also triggers installation of its driver.
  4. Just to be sure, go into Device Manager again and find that device. RIGHT-click on it and choose to update the device driver. Then make sure it loads the correct driver from wherever you know it is stored. When done, back out of Device Manager.

To test, simply reboot your machine and see whether it recognizes this device properly from the start without all your previous trouble. In future, avoid moving that adapter from one USB port to another - sometimes that creates confusion about what device is where and how to find it.