Ethernet via powerline adapter is slower then my wifi

Entertain-Me

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
Hey guys, when i use wifi for gaming eg csgo my ping would be 30 and less ping but after 10 minutes of gaming it would bounce to 300+ or lag drops of saying disconnecting in 25 seconds in csgo. While on the other hand i use ethernet cable via powerline, the internet is stable but i'm starting off at 400 in csgo then drops down slowly and will eventually reach 100 to 60 ping will not go any lower then that sometimes the ethernet would ping would go back up sometimes avg 110.

In my thought i thought ethernet was faster then wifi? It's strange, someone please help me.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes. I would expect ethernet via powerline to be faster than wifi. And straight ethernet connectivity to be faster than either one.

However, ethernet over powerline depends a great deal on the hosting electrical circuits and wiring. Flaws therein (bad connections, interference, etc.) can cause lost packets and thus reduce peformance.

How many devices (wired and wireless) are on your network? What are those devices doing? Do they experience the lagging? Could be there is just too much overall demand for bandwidth at times.

Or there may be outside influences with respect to your ISP and connections. Maybe too much congestion there. Are you in an apartment or dorm?

Try other, known working ethernet cables going to and from the powerline adapters. Try a different electrical circuit if possible.

Use "tracert" and "pathping" to see if you can narrow down the source of the delay.

Entertain-Me

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I have about 13 devices all together connected (i think, about there) but i have 5 people only including me. I live in a 2 storie house. Most of the time me and my two brothers would be doing online gaming, mum would be watching youtube and downloading music on some days not all the time, dad would be web browsing and emailing after when coming back to work. Then the ps3, xbox one connected. Four laptops connected and two ipads for entertainment.
My mum, me, one of my brother and dad experiences the lag but expect my brother.

I'm no expert in this networking but Is it possible to get to buy a powerline adapter with more mbps like a 500mbps instead of the 200mbps i have atm. I have tried different power circuits only two which are nearest and only little difference.

This would be true if it's ETHERNET ALL THE WAY, except what you have is Ethernet --- PowerLine --- Ethernet.

Powerline is influenced by the quality of your house's electrical system.

"Better" power line adapters may improve things but there is no guarantee. Buy from somewhere you can return.

Entertain-Me

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I've found the problem ! It was depending on how many people was using it and i had everybody disconnect and i have running fun lowest 20 to 30 ping.
Thanks for the help though, appreciate it guys ! :) sorry for accidentally dislike, just new to this page didn't know what it did