[SOLVED] Ethernet Wall Jack Not Working

Mar 18, 2019
About a year ago we switched to DirecTV and when the tech came out to set it up he mentioned something about disabling our Ethernet jack in our living room so the Genie system would work.

Now that we are off DirecTV, the Ethernet jack does not work.

Does anyone know how to reenable it?

Solution
Are there any connections between the router' LAN ports, and something within a wiring closet? Again - that Ethernet jack is (hopefully) connected to a wire which goes thru the house to a place where it connects to a panel which connects to the router.
This is one of those things you have to do the majority of the work. The cables from that wall jack go someplace that you need to find. You then need to determine what the best method of activating it is. The far end of the jack must plug into some form of electronic equipment like a router or switch.

It is very unlikely they actually did anything to the jack in the room but if they messed with the wires it is going to make the project more difficult.

Think about an Ethernet jack as a (very long) extension cord - if the other end is not plugged into a power outlet, you won't get anything.

Are you sure the tech was mentioning Ethernet jack (rectangular, similar to a phone jack), and not Coax (round, with screw-in)?

Mar 18, 2019
This is where all of the Ethernet lines in our house run to. And also how our modem is set up now.

cfddf1e14d35ffb16806876bd7c398f2-full.jpg

db89354eacb79637a39e8483865d7ed0-full.jpg

Mar 18, 2019
Think about an Ethernet jack as a (very long) extension cord - if the other end is not plugged into a power outlet, you won't get anything.

Are you sure the tech was mentioning Ethernet jack (rectangular, similar to a phone jack), and not Coax (round, with screw-in)?

Yes he did say Ethernet. In our living room our Ethernet jack and Coax are on the same faceplate. Before, the Ethernet worked fine, we had out router there and had our PS4 hardwired.

What ^he says. Don't confuse ethernet (RJ45 8 pins) wit coax (round connector that you screw on)

I dunno why Direct TV would need to disable your Ethernet Jack.

Anywhoo, ethernet means network (Internet) access, is that what you are pursuing? Is all very simple, all Ethernet jacks go into a central location panel, near your other network stuff. Find this place/panel.

Mar 18, 2019
What ^he says. Don't confuse ethernet (RJ45 8 pins) wit coax (round connector that you screw on)

I dunno why Direct TV would need to disable your Ethernet Jack.

Anywhoo, ethernet means network (Internet) access, is that what you are pursuing? Is all very simple, all Ethernet jacks go into a central location panel, near your other network stuff. Find this place/panel.
I know the difference between Ethernet and Coax. All I want to do is to run my Roku and PS4 over an Ethernet connection rather than wireless.

Are there any connections between the router' LAN ports, and something within a wiring closet? Again - that Ethernet jack is (hopefully) connected to a wire which goes thru the house to a place where it connects to a panel which connects to the router.

Solution