Question Ethernet works perfectly when I start up my PC, then doesn't work except for Youtube ?

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Youtube is the only site that works and other sites just show that the website can't be reached. Other apps like discord and steam don't load. I tried everything, rebooting my pc, changing dns, restarting the router, even changed to wifi and to a hot spot on my phone and it did the same thing. It is probably something to do with my pc due to the fact that changing the network didnt help, but i dont know what to do.

Try simple commands first.

Do a ping to 8.8.8.8

Next do
NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com

What is important is do you get a IP address. If this fails try

NSLOOPUP www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

This will force it to the google dns server rather than your default.

Last try to ping www.tomshardware.com

If ping works but web stuff does not this likely means there is some issue with the web browser. There are all kinds of messy setting that can mess things up with vpn or proxy inside the browser itself. The browser can even override the DNS settings. Maybe try another browser or uninstall and reinstall the browser. They are tricky
to get them to delete all the configuration options on uninstall sometimes.

I would try to temporarily disable the firewall and see if that makes any difference.

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Tried ping to 8.8.8.8 and it worked perfectly. Also tried to disable firewall and antivirus and it didnt work. The thing is that every app on my device acts like there is no connection...

Do all the commands work including ping by name.

You have to be very careful to find a app that does not use a web browser in any way. This is not real common anymore everything seems to load web pages.

Maybe try to install other web browsers and be careful to not let it get setting from other browsers.

yarin1234

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Ok so far i have tried to disable ipv6, to disable windows firewall and antivirus, reset all network settings, change dns, rebooting my pc and restarting my modem. By the looks of it, it is a pc problem because the wifi works fine on all the other devices in my home and only in my pc it doesnt work currently, and there is the same error for both cable and wifi. By ping checking in cmd it shows that the network should operate fine.

I should remind that within the first minute (estimately) of the pc being on, there seems to be a perfect connection to all apps and browsers, but suddenly the connection stops. connection wise, All browsers dont work, and all apps, except of youtube and google browsing on chrome (without entering actual sites, if i try, website cannot be reached error). Any other ideas?

tylerpastorick

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
Same exact problem here, actually have my own thread for it too. Randomly started working again a couple of days ago and then yesterday broke once again. Beyond frustrating problem.