[SOLVED] Ethernet worse than Wifi

Feb 20, 2022
So recently my internet has been very incredibly intermittent, I've tried buying a new Modem as a whole and not a cheap one....

The biggest curve ball is that my wife runs her PC on wifi across the house and has less than half the issues I do on Hardline. Been considering buying a new motherboard as maybe more Ports are old and worn down but I don't want to fork out the money for a new board if I don't have to, as well as I don't want to call my ISP if its a problem on my end as they will just say the typical "well we're good on our end". Any help is appreciated.

Common Problems:
30%+ packet loss on Discord
Severe lag while gaming

Both aren't consistent, it comes and goes for a good 20minutes at a time and seems to be worsened the longer my PC is on, where i'm thinking it could be my motherboard

PC Specs:
i5-9600k
GTX 1070
z390 Tomahawk

Solution
I would try a constant ping to the router IP. If you do not see loss then the problem is more complex than a bad port. A bad port can only causes loss on the connection to the router it can not affect traffic after it reaches the router.

It is not very uncommon for a port to be bad. It is much more common for it to be a cable. Be sure you have a quality cat5e cable or better. Lots of fake cables on the market now days. The cable must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable).
I would try a constant ping to the router IP. If you do not see loss then the problem is more complex than a bad port. A bad port can only causes loss on the connection to the router it can not affect traffic after it reaches the router.

It is not very uncommon for a port to be bad. It is much more common for it to be a cable. Be sure you have a quality cat5e cable or better. Lots of fake cables on the market now days. The cable must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable).

Solution
Feb 20, 2022

So what i failed to mention, Not too long ago i was moving my PC across the room and ended up breaking my HDMI connector while it was plugged into my PC and ended up having to buy a new one, but if that broke, is it possible i might have broken the port itself on my ethernet....

going to have to lookup how to ping a constant but the next time my internet does its thing ill let you know how it goes.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So what i failed to mention, Not too long ago i was moving my PC across the room and ended up breaking my HDMI connector while it was plugged into my PC and ended up having to buy a new one, but if that broke, is it possible i might have broken the port itself on my ethernet....

going to have to lookup how to ping a constant but the next time my internet does its thing ill let you know how it goes.
Yes, it is possible that you also damaged the ethernet port.