EU Expected To Pass Censorship Machines, Link Tax On June 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroro

Splendid
United States Constitution, Article I, section 8, clause 8
"To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries."

The continual and unlimited extensions to US copyright is a blatant violation of your constitutional rights. Copyright -MUST- be of a limited duration, meaning they must end. Yet no copyright has ever ended, at least not in my lifetime. The time isn't "limited" since they extend the duration every time a copyright is about to expire. Americans have a right to the public domain, and that right needs to be preserved.

stdragon

Admirable

Globalism was just the stepping-stone to a full on Neo-feudalism. Power gained is rarely given up!

They don't call it "royalties" for nothing.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

While I agree with the general sentiment of your post, the bolded sentence is an incredibly ignorant statement. Lots of copyrights expire each year.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
In Sweden (a EU member) we don't have "copyright" per se. We have the "right of origin" for artistic works, which is somewhat different.
It's tied to the person creating a work (for example take a picture). The ownership of that picture can't be sold or transferred in any way, but you can make an agreement to sell for example distribution rights and such.
Everything with any form of artistic content is covered by this type of ownership, including this very posting (a work of litterature). My works will automatically become public domain some 70+ years after I die.
I see no way to practically superwise any form of automatic screening in such a way that every artistic work is treated properly. As noted in previous posts even YouTube can't get it straight without stopping legal use. (I myself got a notice when I in a film used music that had been public domain for about 20 years (recording of Scott Joplin playing his own music), just because some company had also published it on a CD.)

stdragon

Admirable

Therein lies the rub. YouTube didn't want to be just a public forum of video content; they also wanted to censor what was published. By sticking their fingers in that role, they will now be compelled to police all content for copyright infringement.

Short of any illegal content that forces their hand to take it down, YouTube should have left well enough alone. But they didn't and now they're beholden to nation-states conscripting them into performing an act of labor. It's pure poetic justice if you ask me!

Jun 20, 2018
get out there and copy everything to external hard drives of gigabyte even terabyte size get stuff off the archive.org site also anything you might need that might get taken down.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I don't think so. The "censorship" is probably more the result of major IP owners like Sony and Disney leaning hard on YouTube to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.