[SOLVED] EU gaming from SEA

Taniki

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Hi,

I've been gaming on EU servers while living in the UK for most my life and have had to move to Singapore recently. What i have found is that I get from 200 to 300 ping which makes playing ok as it is stable ping this allows the likes of World of Tanks and League of Legends playable without much trouble. I dare not try any more demanding game (previously playing mmorpg, rts or fps)

Intermittently I will get trouble with adding voice comms such as discord, teamspeak or if someone in the home wants to do something like use Netflix.

I've in the past dabbled with using one or two performance VPN however found they were worse than using without. Maybe I used the wrong ones.

Since I am loathe to move from EU servers, is there anything I can do to improve my connection and lower my ping without moving servers or country?

Thank you.

Solution
200-300ms is kinda high to the EU from singapore but it greatly depends on your ISP. It all depends how your ISP is connected to the other ISP and what fiber paths they use. You can use tools like tracert and lookingglass sites to try to find how the path goes but you can not change the path so it is purely for educational purposes.

The so called VPN providers might be faster but finding ones is going to be a challenge. These are different than the vast majority of VPN providers whose main purpose is to change your IP address. Those VPN providers are mostly just a router that is doing nat.

What you would want if you could afford it is a private fiber from your house to the game data center. There are special "gaming" vpn...
200-300ms is kinda high to the EU from singapore but it greatly depends on your ISP. It all depends how your ISP is connected to the other ISP and what fiber paths they use. You can use tools like tracert and lookingglass sites to try to find how the path goes but you can not change the path so it is purely for educational purposes.

The so called VPN providers might be faster but finding ones is going to be a challenge. These are different than the vast majority of VPN providers whose main purpose is to change your IP address. Those VPN providers are mostly just a router that is doing nat.

What you would want if you could afford it is a private fiber from your house to the game data center. There are special "gaming" vpn providers that in effect do this. They lease private fiber paths with the goal of reducing latency between certain cities and the data centers of that large gaming companies use. The problem is you need to find one of the vpn companies that has access location that your ISP can get to very efficiently. Best if it was is a city that you lived in.

These type of vpn companies are not really common and there is no way to predict how good a connection your ISP has to these companies. It is a matter of testing between your ISP and these companies. There is really no way to predict it since there are differences in the path between users of the same ISP in different parts of the same city.

Solution

Taniki

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Yes it was max 200 ping im a remote country I lived in previously however I suspect the inclusive internet at the apartment I stay isn't the best.

Thanks for the advice

TRENDING THREADS