Eurocom Tornado F7W Laptop Arrives With i9-9900K, 128GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Well, not a modern laptop. Looks like my old Dell laptop from 15 years ago in size.

The Tornado F7W is a mobile workstation that has no weak points.

No, it has 1 major weak point: the cost. They say the base cost is $3,500USD. Just for fun, I tried to come up with a comparison against a comparable desktop. I had to switch it over to the i7-9700K (PCPartPicker didn't have the available Xeon types listed) & the Quadro P4000 (ditto on available Quadro models) & bumped it up to 2x16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, but other than that I left the default options on the laptop alone...& it comes in at $4,427 USD (http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,452,0)TornadoF7W)...& that's without an OS (that's an extra option per the site).

Going for a similar desktop build, using the same model of HDD as the laptop had, same Quadro P4000, same i7-9700K, on an ATX build, sans DVD drive (just like the laptop), & only missing the 8-in-1 smart card reader, biometric reader, & webcam the laptop has...I was able to build a desktop with a 23.6" UHD monitor (slightly faster refresh rate) for much, much cheaper...in fact, at $1,866 USD (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bNxVHh) it's less than half the price.

So, sure, you can get a "workstation" laptop, that uses & can be upgraded with desktop CPUs...but the premium, oh the premium!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I just wonder what kinds of clock speeds it can maintain. I worry the name "Tornado" might be a little too accurate, in regards to the cooling system.

Also, I would hope that Ethernet jack is > 1 Gbps. The fact they didn't mention it doesn't make me hopeful.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It's definitely a specialty product. I imagine it'll get used for things like pre-visualization on film sets, where portability and raw horsepower are both essential requirements.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
What kind of battery life do you expect from a laptop like this? And as far as it not being paper thin.... Well if you want a macbook pro which is a $3000 tablet with a cheap keyboard and is as thin as a credit card. Then get the Macbook Pro.

This thing is for real photographers, video editors needing 30+ MP and 4k real time video editing or CAD and SQL work. I don't want it to be as thin as a credit card and half a pound.

I buy this laptop to take what a crappy macbook pro can do in 1 hour and cut it down to less than 15 minutes. And yes it is going to be an inch and a half thick, get less than an hour battery life.

With this laptop there will be no complaining about Light Room running slow cause Adobe is dumb and it will play every version of Crysis at 60FPS at max graphics settings.

It will also make your desktop gaming rig cry.

theyeti87

Honorable

From the article: Being a workstation in nature, the Tornado F7W is only available with Nvidia Quadro graphics options. Sorry, gamers.

The point of this machine is not gaming.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...Makes sense. I configured one, didn't even fully load it (only two SSDs: a 512 GB and a 2 TB) and am looking at a price of 9,268$. The spendy parts were that 128 GB of memory and a Quadro P5000.but that would make it one raging render machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.