News Europe Is Officially out of IPv4 Addresses

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Simple solution, find anyone who wastes addresses and revoke them -- such wastes would be social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc. except for gaming of course). ;)

Not a bad idea, but then you're depriving the users of the benefits of IPv6. It's faster/more efficent, has several more features, and nearly unlimited addresses. IPv4 is actually a prototype ;)

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Those IP6 addresses are just so easy to remember...

Yeah it is the main gripe with them. There might be a possibility to issue them with a bit of rules like:
192.168.0.1 mapped is 0:0:0:0:0:ffff:c0a8:1 Then one could assume that the first 5 sets of number is always 0s. This may or may not work in practice. Then one could just quote the last 3 places e.g. ffff:c0a8:1 not much harder than 192.168.0.1. 192.168.0.2 is 0:0:0:0:0:ffff:c0a8:2 and so on.

Reactions: daglesj

treysis

Honorable
Apr 22, 2016
Those IP6 addresses are just so easy to remember...
Who remembers IP addresses anyways? What's Google's IPv4? Do you know? I don't. I don't need to, and I don't want to. And even if I did, accessing Google by IPv4-literals won't work most of the time due to multihosting. Same with CDN like Cloudflare.
192.168.0.1 mapped is 0:0:0:0:0:ffff:c0a8:1 Then one could assume that the first 5 sets of number is always 0s. This may or may not work in practice. Then one could just quote the last 3 places e.g. ffff:c0a8:1 not much harder than 192.168.0.1. 192.168.0.2 is 0:0:0:0:0:ffff:c0a8:2 and so on.
You don't have to do hex-conversion yourself. Just write ::ffff:192.168.0.1.

RealBeast

Titan
Not a bad idea, but then you're depriving the users of the benefits of IPv6. It's faster/more efficent, has several more features, and nearly unlimited addresses. IPv4 is actually a prototype ;)
Yup. If all the providers/equipment mnfs would get their act together IPv6 would have been in common use some time ago. I recall that the draft was approved over 20 or so years ago and it took forever for the final approval about 2 years ago.

But then we still have WPS on routers, so I wouldn't expect too much too soon. ;)

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Who remembers IP addresses anyways? What's Google's IPv4? Do you know? I don't. I don't need to, and I don't want to. And even if I did, accessing Google by IPv4-literals won't work most of the time due to multihosting. Same with CDN like Cloudflare.

You don't have to do hex-conversion yourself. Just write ::ffff:192.168.0.1.

I do know what it is cos IPv4 is easy to remember. I also know Cloudflares/Local Host/My DNS etc. etc.

Cos it's easy. IPv6...yes it's needed but yeah....designed by nerds.

Looking forward to the increase in networking cockups due to incorrectly typed IPv6 data.

"Hang on hangon...I got it written down somewhere..."