European Commission Fines Google 2.42 Billion Euro For Promoting Google Shopping In Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
If you buy something directly from google price comparison, you get what you deserve... you get what you paid from, if you know what you are doing... otherwise you get what you deserve... (good,cheap,fast... pick two)

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
Wow, i wonder if that fine can be use against the taxes google might pay... um... so england does not get a cent...(pence?) due to brexit...?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The entire point of these commissions is to rob American companies of capital in order to promote European companies while also filling up their coin purse. The problem with these tactics is that it reduces trade and economic growth in these regions. Big companies like Google and Microsoft will still remain in the region until the fines make it unprofitable. Then they will pull their assets out of these countries while indirectly generating profit through a 3rd party in order to bypass these regulatory hurdles. Smaller companies will simply pull out.

Falchard, Not only American companies. As long as there is a large enough pot to take from, there is a reason to investigate.
No worries for Google, they will shift costs to consumers (for example pay less to youtubers).
Its a form of hidden taxation.

As the US' own FTC agrees with the EU, many people wondered why, if Google infringed on monopoly laws, the FTC didn't pursue Google in the US. Reason: lobbying.

So yes, the EU is charging Google a big deal for infringing the law, and will keep charging if Google keeps infringing. Contrast that with US monopolies (I mean, US companies in a state of monopoly in the US), where any actions intended against monopoly abuses are:

• ■ swept under the rug (FTC vs. Google)
    ■ if accuser keeps coming back: settle out of court (AMD vs. Intel)
    ■ if accuser won't settle: throw lawyers at him (SCO vs. Linux users)
    ■ if accuser is a good lawyer/knows how to use the law: intimidate out of court (SCO vs. IBM+Groklaw)
    ■ if accuser can't be intimidated: countersue (Apple vs. Samsung)
    ■ if accuser can't be countersued: lobby politicians until the law changes so that the defendant isn't guilty anymore
    ■ if it actually goes to trial: buy the judge and/or the jury
    ■ if the judge/jury can't be bought: lie out of your ass (US Congress vs. Microsoft)

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

That has to be one of the dumbest, most xenophobic and ethnocentric opinions I've seen in a while. The European Comission targets European companies just as much as American ones - and Asian ones and so on and so on. If you run a business through anti-competitive practices, they come after you. That's how free trade is supposed to work, after all, with the law providing as close to level playing field as possible.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Am I missing something here? Of course Google is going to promote Google services above all else. If I buy a Honda, I don't expect them to say "Go take it to Hyundai for service, it'll be cheaper." I naturally expect they're going to promote their own services.

This seems incredibly dumb.

Only if they corner the entire market on vending machines, the way Google has cornered the market on search.

Status
Not open for further replies.